WotC changes how D&D mini's are going to be sold.

avin

First Post
Unless it goes like:
1 male race A class A
1 female race A class A
1 elminster / drizzt / entreri
per package...

Two heroes and one icon...

Nebulous

Legend
I don't think this will change anything for me. I'll still buy them on the secondary market after retailers open the boxes. Although i am glad the size of the sets are smaller. 60 models a set is a TON! Hopefully it means the quality of some will be higher.

xechnao

First Post
This hobby has come a long way from just a couple of paperbacks, some dice, and a few sheets of graph paper, hasn't it?

just observing.

My observation: It is not just the hobby that drives itself ahead but it is mostly business.

Wotc will try to create a synthesis of trends or niches that help it exploit all possible market areas of geek fantasy territory in the most profitable way (today their model sells tomes, periodic subscriptions, miniature and card collections). So it seems they think or know this sort of combination is the most profitable one at the time being. The question I want to know the answer of is how much brand recognition is important as a factor in their model to work (not only for them but mostly for trends or niches relevant to the consumers).

Nebulous

Legend
The Unique PC card is to sweeten the deal: "Yeah, you might have a custom-painted Reaper Mini, but I got Battle Strike Tactics with mine."

But how many "unique" powers can they come up with that aren't going to be almost like something from a splatbook (or the core book?) There are only so many ways to make push/pull/slide/knock prone look original and cool. And i think they've reached the limit already.

DanChops

First Post
8 classes form the PHB.
8 races form the PHB.
2 sexes.

I think the focus on classes rather misses the point in this instance. For me, a mini's usefulnes isn't determined by the class it's intended to represent, but rather by the equipment it's carrying. For instance, a human fighter with heavy-ish armor, a weapon, and a shield could as easily represent a paladin.

While I understand (and to an extent, share) your conernces about the variety of minis available to represent any given character concept, I think I'll wait until I know what the minis will look like before deciding if WotC has done enough to represent a wide-enough variety of characters.

xechnao

First Post
Wasn't this what Erik Noah had heard as a rumor back in the day which everyone seemed to discredit at the time?

Sometimes I do not know whether to amaze myself with the apparent naiveness of some posts or with the possibility of some guerrilla marketing of the industry's leader around here. Or is it perhaps true that edition wars have made people a bit of fanatics?

Sometimes I do not know whether to amaze myself with the apparent naiveness of some posts or with the possibility of some guerrilla marketing of the industry's leader around here. Or is it perhaps true that edition wars have made people a bit of fanatics?

Fans or fanatics come first. Edition wars happen later ;)

Remove ads