WotC changes how D&D mini's are going to be sold.

DCJedi

Explorer
I guess WotC needs to let Amazon know [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786950250"]Feywild [/ame]is cancelled. Kinda wish I'd used it as filler for free shipping on more Gold Box Quick Picks now.

RefinedBean

First Post
Now, you get, what, 3 powers that no one else does? For the price of some plastic?

Now, you have created "elite" D&D players who splurge on minis in order to collect the powers (I'd be surprised if people played 3 different characters in a given year).

Not sure what you're getting at here. Are these people going to be showing up at other people's games, plopping down, and saying "CHECK OUT THIS INSANITY!" and whip out some kind of power card? They'd be laughed away.

I mean, these are going to be in the D&D Compendium. They may as well be, since someone's going to collect all the power cards at a convention, type them up, and post them somewhere.

Either your DM is buying a subscription to DDI and will allow them in the campaign, or you buy the minis yourself so that you have a fun figure to represent you, and you expand your group's power choice option by 1.

If your prediction of having an Elite Mini-Buying Power-Collecting D&D Fanbase is true, we finally have a solid way of outing these people, and can beat the tar out of them with sticks.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This hobby has come a long way from just a couple of paperbacks, some dice, and a few sheets of graph paper, hasn't it?

This is awesome news for those who collect minis and cards. For those of us who don't, it is just another product with "D&D" stamped on it. I'm not judging, just observing.

Ondo

First Post
To complete a set
Cost for all 18 PC minis: $66
Cost for all 40 Monster minis (assuming no repeats): $120

Total cost to complete a set (again assuming no repeats): $186
That would only work if there were 8 rares, 8 uncommons, 8 visible, and 16 commons in the set; since that would make all the pieces equally rare there's no chance of that. The actual cost will depend on the number of rares in the set.

Of course, to get a complete set of Underdark (assuming no repeats) would require 24 boosters, as there are 24 rares. So $15 * 24 = $360. The new way will be cheaper unless at least 20 of the 40 minis are rare.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
This hobby has come a long way from just a couple of paperbacks, some dice, and a few sheets of graph paper, hasn't it?

This is awesome news for those who collect minis and cards. For those of us who don't, it is just another product with "D&D" stamped on it. I'm not judging, just observing.

You observation skills served you well in this case.

Test the next edition with the current one has worked so far, so why abandon it? 3.5 PHB2 tested aggro mechanics and so it became part of 4E.
In a completely different form, sure. That seems to be a bad example.

Now if you had mentioned warlocks and reserve feats testing at-will magic powers, you might have a point.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I guess if you take an unusual combination of race & class for your character you will have to wait.

Or you can modify them. I know that's not for everybody though, and defeats the convenience factor, but, rare combos have always been harder to find in mini form. Sometimes your only alternative is to make it yourself. There was a really good series of articles on the WoTC Star Wars page on how to modifiy the prepainted plastic minis. It's really not as hard as it may seem, but again, it's not everybodys cup of tea.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
This is probably a sign that the ddm game is dying out.
Unfortunately, it's not like DDM died a natural death after a long, happy life. DDM was trapped in the rubble when 3.5 was demolished, and has been slowly suffocating since. Right now it's gasping its last breaths of air.

Remove ads