• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC - CUSTOMER NEGLIGENCE

Drawmack

First Post
I purchased Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition Core Rulebook III (Monster Manual) in December of last year via mail order from the WotC web store.

When I received the book the binding machine had apparently messed up as there was glue over about 1.5 inches of the inside of the back cover. I figured that's what I get for buying online and removed the excess glue with a razor blade. About a month ago the entire binding on the book fell apart. When I looked at it there wasn't any glue inside the binding at all.

I emailed WotC asking for a replacement book. A week and a half later I had gotten no response. I emailed WotC again and again I got no response. It has now been three weeks since I first email WotC about this and I have gotten no response.

If you decide to buy WotC products I sincerely hope that you don't get one where the machine messed up or you will be left to your own devices in replacing it as WotC doesn't care about anything except making the sale so if they can sell you two books that's all the better for them.

If WotC would like to make good on this they can contact me at drstupid@ptd.net. I will gladly post an addendum to this thread if WotC makes good on this.

Weeble

First Post
I'm due for a new one too. I've had mine for about a year and a half and I beat the crap out of it (I read it more than the PHB). Any other DMs out there put alot of wear and tear on their DMGs?

Opps, where we talking about different books? :D

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
The fact is, I'd bet that if you had called them as soon as you recieved the book, you would have gotten a response.

Waiting a month or whatever before you sent an email really looks like you just put it through some hard use and it fell apart. I'm not surprised they didn't answer. I doubt many companies would.

Note: I'm not saying thats what you did, but thats probably how they saw it. Also, if you want results, call their customer service. Email doesn't get respect like a phone call does.

Just my two cents...

Veander

First Post
Oddly I try not to beat my books up but all of my 3 Core Books have fallen apart in the 1.5 to 2 years I have owned them. Elmers glue has fixed them though. In fact they are more solid now then they were when I bought them.

AS far as that kind of customer service, I don;t know what their policy is. Some companies have 100% satisfaction, but most don't. If you used that thing for that long I don;t know that it really should stand up nor am I convinced that WotC should have to give you new ones. This all depends on their policy. If I were them I would just quietly replace.

V

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm going to make a dangerous assumption that this is not a joke, especially since someone with an e-mail address like that is hard to take seriously...

I feel badly about your book, but the best thing I can tell you is twofold:

1) Prudence would have been better had you made contact soon after receiving the book. Waiting six months is too long for most companies to honor guarantees on print material.

2) You really shouldn't make assumptions that "WotC wants to scam its customers", since my heavily-used Monster Manual is now two years old, and doesn't look that much worse for the wear, with no binding problems whatsoever. In the future, it is better advisable to buy from reputable game stores local to you, or to buy from someone who has known to give good service. I can vouch for people like Taloncomics (www.taloncomics.com), because his level of service is far more personal than WotC or Amazon.com, for example. Talon can correct me if I'm wrong, but Talon (Derek is his name) owns a storefront as well, and handles the orders on a closer level than larger companies (I'm not saying he packs the box himself, but he is more likely to give care to customer shipments).

In any event, if you are new to this site, welcome to ENWorld, and I hope you have a good experience posting here!

Weeble

First Post
Drawmack said:
This isn't wear and tear and it's through no fault of my own the book was misbound and it came apart in 6 months.

It's tough to judge what is a manufacturer's defect after 6 months.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads