D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The 3e FRCS is certainly usable, but then again so are the guides to all other settings from previous editions as well.

But this is a well-worn road to a discussion that has been done and re-done here ad nauseum.

Basically, all Realms fans want is to see the rest of the setting get some coverage. This is fine if it's done via a new setting book, or by placing hardcover adventures in new regions like was done with Chult, or by having Ed and other Realms experts create "semi-official" books on the DMs Guild like what was done for the Border Kingdoms. Any of these three are fine. They just need to choose one (and indicate that choice to us so we know what to expect) and go with it.

Well, M. T. Black is doing more products in conjunction with Ed Greenwood.

Honestly, they are opaque to avoid overpromiaing: if they say "we're doing X now," and conditions change...a lot of people would be upset that X stopped.

darjr

I crit!
Ed worked with Alex Kammer and Greg for the Border Kingdoms as well.

And according to Alex it was given the overview by WotC so it’s Ed Greenwood cannon and WotC cannon.

listen to Alex talk about it herehttps://dontsplitthepodcastnetwork.com/table-top-babble/189

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ed worked with Alex Kammer and Greg for the Border Kingdoms as well.

And according to Alex it was given the overview by WotC so it’s Ed Greenwood cannon and WotC cannon.

listen to Alex talk about it herehttps://dontsplitthepodcastnetwork.com/table-top-babble/189

A DMsGuild collective "Living Canon" actually is a pretty cool thing...

guachi

Hero
I'll admit I wrote in Mystara for my campaign as it's actually what I use. Has the benefit of being new to basically every player so I can add or subtract anything and it's all good.

Lots and lots and lots of DM questions, which is good as that's all I do so I felt useful.

EDIT: I also downvoted Chris Perkins and Ed Greenwood on the creators as they were the only names on the list who have made products I actually haven't liked and are still alive.

Last edited:

The 3e FRCS is certainly usable, but then again so are the guides to all other settings from previous editions as well.

But this is a well-worn road to a discussion that has been done and re-done here ad nauseum.

Basically, all Realms fans want is to see the rest of the setting get some coverage. This is fine if it's done via a new setting book, or by placing hardcover adventures in new regions like was done with Chult, or by having Ed and other Realms experts create "semi-official" books on the DMs Guild like what was done for the Border Kingdoms. Any of these three are fine. They just need to choose one (and indicate that choice to us so we know what to expect) and go with it.
I'
d push back and say they don't need to limit themselves to just one - they could do a mix of the three.

They'd just need to make sure one person is approving canon so they don't contradict each other to hard. (Little details changing is just unreliable narration, but two different rules of Thay is a bit much.)

RobJN

Adventurer
Part of me also was hoping we might see some conversion of Arneson adventures like City of the Gods and Temple of the Frog. Sprinkle in a little Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and we can get a Sci/Fantasy Anthology Module set.
In going through which classic treatments WotC has used (Giants? Check. Dragons? Check Ravenloft? Check Drow/Underdark? Check), I've had a Temple of the Frog/City of the Gods/Barrier Peaks/Tale of the Comet mashup on the wish list for years, now.....

lkj

Hero
To monetize the point of play. The physical D&D products, like the Starter Set, that sold well at Target and Walmart pre-pandemic are not selling right now...and likely won't be for two years.

If the pandemic has changed consumer habits, and WotC has a choice between setups like it already has, or releasing it's own product and capturing more of the total revenue share...rest assured WotC is going to hunt for Dollars.

Maybe. But it's not clear to me that trying to become a software company is the smoothest route to the most money. Nor do I have any idea what their markets look like right now. But of course that's about as far as we can go with this discussion given the information available.

AD

The strategy by Hasbro is "don't put all the eggs in one basket". It wants to make money with transmedia franchises, and the best promotion today are the media productions and the videogames, but both need a lot of time to publish the right smashing-hit. Not even the main cinema studios know all the secrets to produce blockbusters and some projects are failed. Today the TTRPG players are two types, teenages and young who haven't got enough money to buy all the sourcebooks, and adults who haven't got enough time to play. This second group is more like collectors, like music fans buying the compilation of their favorite singer or musical band.

And online videogame are the easiest way to play with others. Thanks Fortnite I can play with people from other continents and not even speak a languange I could understand.

Remove ads