D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So I can look forward to adding Mulhorand and Phlan to my FR campaign when I am 107. Gotcha! marks calendar
The good news is that we'll get Cormyr and the Dalelands (you know, places that were considered important parts of the heart of the setting in previous editions) around 2050 or so!

Or anytime: I have the 3E FRCS, and it's still useable.

I'm not saying it's the only way they could do it, but it is the way they are doing it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't know that it makes sense for WotC to put out its own VTT. I'm hoping instead that they give even more support for creating content for more VTT systems.

WotC has to sell something can't be offered by rival companies. Every mangaka can creates her own version of Dragonlance, with other characters but the almost same feeling. Videogames companies can sell their own virtual tabletop for dungeon-crawler games, or virtual miniatures wargames. When Disney reborns in the 90's other cinema studios published their own version of the cartoons because fairy tales are public domain. Hasbro tried to sell Kre-o toys, but the people would rather the original Lego.

The power of the brand can help to sell more, but anytimes it isn't enough. I can go to the toy shop to buy a figure of a space captain, but I need a good reason to want the toys based in some famous franchise. And you know there are Chinese ersatz toys plagiaring famous IPs.

I imagine the future like this (and after the end of the game a special software uses the data to develop a machinima movie):

If WotC makes money with some special virtual software as talespire, I guess some videogame company will try to imitate the same formula (for example Epic Games with Fortnite: creative mode adding quest creator), and I wouldn't blame it.

Other companies could creater their own agnostic-system virtual tabletops.

* Do you think WotC could publishes audio-books for mobiles based in the game-book "choose your own adventure"? Maybe some interative video for little children. The screen of the mobiles are too small to read comfortably, but the tabletops are different. It would be like the cartoons to promote toys like the little monster pet shop.

* Today working in Forgotten Realms is easier because they have got the help by the original author Ed Greenwood. This allows more freedom to add new things or changes because Ed. Gr. can say what is the "orthodoxy" of the lore. If WotC dares to add changes to Mystara or Greyhawk there are serious risks about complains by the fandom as "this is not my Star Wars any more".

* If there is a updated publishing of Dragonlance modules we could find some retcon details, like in the last "Curse of the Strand".

* D&D hasn't to be too family-friendly because the rules are too complex for preteens as DMs, and if an older family member is the DM this has got the right tone. But videogames are different, when lots of preteen plays Fortnite, for example.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The good news is that we'll get Cormyr and the Dalelands (you know, places that were considered important parts of the heart of the setting in previous editions) around 2050 or so!
Except that before 2050 we will switch to 6th edition and there will be another Realms Shaking Event to introduce it...and they will start over with the Sword Coast again.....

all-of-this-has-happened-before.gif

In other words, sure, they could try to do it themselves. But why not instead work with an already highly successful partner to do it?
To monetize the point of play. The physical D&D products, like the Starter Set, that sold well at Target and Walmart pre-pandemic are not selling right now...and likely won't be for two years.

If the pandemic has changed consumer habits, and WotC has a choice between setups like it already has, or releasing it's own product and capturing more of the total revenue share...rest assured WotC is going to hunt for Dollars.

Or anytime: I have the 3E FRCS, and it's still useable.

I'm not saying it's the only way they could do it, but it is the way they are doing it.

The 3e FRCS is certainly usable, but then again so are the guides to all other settings from previous editions as well.

But this is a well-worn road to a discussion that has been done and re-done here ad nauseum.

Basically, all Realms fans want is to see the rest of the setting get some coverage. This is fine if it's done via a new setting book, or by placing hardcover adventures in new regions like was done with Chult, or by having Ed and other Realms experts create "semi-official" books on the DMs Guild like what was done for the Border Kingdoms. Any of these three are fine. They just need to choose one (and indicate that choice to us so we know what to expect) and go with it.

Remove ads