D&D 5E WotC Explains 'Canon' In More Detail

Recently, WotC's Jeremy Crawford indicated that only the D&D 5th Edition books were canonical...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, WotC's Jeremy Crawford indicated that only the D&D 5th Edition books were canonical for the roleplaying game. In a new blog article, Chris Perkins goes into more detail about how that works, and why.

This boils down to a few points:
  • Each edition of D&D has its own canon, as does each video game, novel series, or comic book line.
  • The goal is to ensure players don't feel they have to do research of 50 years of canon in order to play.
  • It's about remaining consistent.

If you’re not sure what else is canonical in fifth edition, let me give you a quick primer. Strahd von Zarovich canonically sleeps in a coffin (as vampires do), Menzoberranzan is canonically a subterranean drow city under Lolth’s sway (as it has always been), and Zariel is canonically the archduke of Avernus (at least for now). Conversely, anything that transpires during an Acquisitions Incorporated live game is not canonical in fifth edition because we treat it the same as any other home game (even when members of the D&D Studio are involved).

canon.png

Voadam

Legend
An interesting bit:

"Fifth edition’s canon includes every bit of lore that appears in the most up-to-date printings of the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide. Beyond these core rulebooks, we don’t have a public-facing account of what is canonical in fifth edition because we don’t want to overload our fellow creators and business partners."

Public-facing is the key line there. I've no doubt that they have an internal wiki that they use.

we don’t have a public-facing account of what is canonical in fifth edition because we don’t want to overload our fellow creators and business partners."

Perfectly happy with the approach as outlined by Chris Perkins.

Although, now I kinda want my Modrons to have been built in a Radio Shack.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I feel like this is just stating the obvious for people who were freaking out over things they read into the earlier statement. No, this doesn’t mean any lore from any novels are being thrown out or re-written. It just means the designers aren’t beholden to decisions made by previous creative teams for previous versions of the game, or by authors of any stories within the official settings. Continuities remain intact, but separate, as they have always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads