WotC Forums Migration Tool

You most probably know by now that WotC is closing its D&D, M:tG and other community forums on October 29th. Already, hundreds of WotC forum members have begun migrating over here to EN World, and as part of that process they are transferring content that would otherwise be lost. The content is being placed in the Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat forum, the Character Builds & Optimizations forum, and the D&D Adventurer's League forum. The Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat Forum is a general storage area for any and all transferred content, regardless of its nature, until we get chance to sort through and move it all to where it needs to be. EN World and WotC member MerricB has spent over 12 hours coding a tool which makes it incredibly easy and quick to transfer your content from WotC's forums to here. It preserves formatting, and copies entire threads, making transferring your content take a matter of seconds rather than hours.

You most probably know by now that WotC is closing its D&D, M:tG and other community forums on October 29th. Already, hundreds of WotC forum members have begun migrating over here to EN World, and as part of that process they are transferring content that would otherwise be lost. The content is being placed in the Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat forum, the Character Builds & Optimizations forum, and the D&D Adventurer's League forum. The Emergency WotC Evacuation Lifeboat Forum is a general storage area for any and all transferred content, regardless of its nature, until we get chance to sort through and move it all to where it needs to be. EN World and WotC member MerricB has spent over 12 hours coding a tool which makes it incredibly easy and quick to transfer your content from WotC's forums to here. It preserves formatting, and copies entire threads, making transferring your content take a matter of seconds rather than hours.

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
This tool isn't complete yet, but it should get most of the formatting from a series of posts on a page on the Wizards forums, convert it to BB Code, which you can copy and post on EN World.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...00&authkey=!ABKffCWJONMiKjI&ithint=folder,zip

It's a Windows program, written in C# on my Windows 10 machine - I have no idea if it'll work on previous versions of Windows. I know it won't work on Macs. Let me know if it works for you.

The program is pretty simple:
* put the URL of the page you wish to convert in the text box at the top of the page.
* press "Convert"
* Wait patiently for the page to load on the left-hand pane, and then for the BBCode to appear in the right-hand pane.
* Press "Copy" to copy the text to your clipboard.

At that point, you can do anything you like with it.

The left-hand pane is a simple browser, so you could navigate using that; it'll convert a Wizards forum page automatically when you get to the next. If you spot any types of formatting it is not bringing over, let me know. (It removes any orders to turn the text white or black, and it doesn't understand certain types of colour codes at the moment.)

The browser doesn't quite understand the Wizards log-in system on my computer. It might on yours.

A row of post numbers will appear down the bottom of the page as well.
* Press on a number to just cause that post to appear on the right-hand side; it also copies itself to your clipboard, ready for re-posting.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Strictly speaking, we should only be moving content *we* own, not content made by someone else. The license we've granted to Wizards does not remove our own rights to our own material; however, we haven't magically gained access to someone else's right by virtue of its being on the Wizards forums.

In many cases, you should be able to gain permission to move content from its creator. (Move? Duplicate is what we're doing).

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
New version up - should deal with the line breaks in a more sensitive way. I've also reduced (slightly) the size of the header font to fit on EN World pages better.

Let me know if you notice any odd behaviour... although I'm likely to be in bed. I've been working on this the last 10+ hours without much of a break.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
One of the reasons there are oddities in the conversion is because there are oddities in the formatting. I mean, how do you deal with this line of html?

<p style="margin-right:10px; margin-bottom:10px; color:rgb(68, 68, 68)>

Really? You want a little space below the paragraph and on the side, and the colour to be some sort of grey?

You can have a newline and that's it!

:)

Cheers!

Ferghis

First Post
Serious kudos MerricB. You've always been a great poster, ever since I saw you for the first time over a decade ago on Dragonsfoot. Thanks for doing this.

koga305

First Post
This looks fantastic. For those of us with Macs, would other folks be willing to run a few threads through the program and send us the BBCode? I'd love to repost my Fighter Guide on ENWorld and this looks like the perfect tool to do it, but I don't have access to a Windows computer.

Thank you very much, Merric. Copying over the coloured text is probably the most important bit; other HTML-to-BBCode converters I've found don't have that capability. I've added your tool to my "how-to" in the GitP index of 3.X material, here:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444041-Threads-from-the-Wizards-forums

If anyone is moving 3.X stuff over, please PM me a link or make a note of it in the thread, and the mirrored thread (from any site) will be added to the index.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hmmm... I was converting along, no problem, and then I hit this page: http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-encounters-season-15-murder-baldurs-gate/threads/3889061

When I try to "Convert" it gives me the "You are not authorized to access this page" page. I'm still logged in. I can see it just fine on my browser...

Ah, but you're not logged in using the program's internal browser, which is running in IE7 mode, because it feels like it. And IE7 won't log-in to the Wizards site. There's meant to be a registry entry that can fix that, but it's proving very troublesome to fix. :(

Cheers!

Remove ads

Remove ads