D&D 5E WotC has updated the Hadozee glide ability on DnDBeyond

I've never seen so many people upset that the errata over something that no player or DM outside the most pedantic rules lawyer would ever try wasn't released in the exact way they wanted, and that someone might see it before they do (ignoring that it was posted immediately here and that it will inevitably be released officially soon anyway).
not 'not see it' and as you see part of the errata can't be talked about here by rules... so instead of getting a PDF or website or something from WotC we just have to wait for someone that paid to share with us, then hope the other people in our group except what is basically "I kind of know a guy who DOES have the inside scoop of WotC and I trust him and you should trust me," followed by "Oh I don't know the person in real life, I know them online... and not there real name just a screen name on (enworld/reddit/twitter)"

"I know a guy who I trust" is the dumbest way to share errata ever

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Brief thoughts-

1. It really is unfortunate that they had to change the glide ability just because some people thought of a way to abuse RAW and jump. The new rule doesn't match the fiction very well, especially when the Hardozee is at a great height.

2. I don't fully understand the outrage about the errata appearing on D&D Beyond. I'm a book person myself- I will not be paying for D&D beyond (although I did get a free account for the playtest material). But prior to this, we still had to wait a long time for errata to be released. Now they are moving to their digital platform- but they will still release the errata as they used to.

The bigger concern isn't the errata (seriously), it's the overall move to D&D Beyond. It's all going there- the UA. The surveys. All of it. The errata really is meaningless if you use the books - assumedly, we will get a full release on all errata at the same time we normally do. The bigger concern is that it is clear that all the engagement is moving to Beyond. That's the story.

Retreater

Legend
I've never seen so many people upset that the errata over something that no player or DM outside the most pedantic rules lawyer would ever try wasn't released in the exact way they wanted, and that someone might see it before they do (ignoring that it was posted immediately here and that it will inevitably be released officially soon anyway).
It's that the book has been out 2 weeks. It's that you have to buy the book through their official online channel (instead of local gaming shops, brick and mortar, etc.) It's that their latest errata dates back to Dec 2021 (which is hardly in "the blink of an eye").
It's basic customer service to give the same level of service to your customers regardless of how they access your company. My butt would be toast if I just hung up on a phone caller instead of giving them help like a person who comes in person.
All this while trying to reassure their existing fans that nothing major is changing with the new distribution model of 6E.
Yeah, we have a right to be concerned.

2. I don't fully understand the outrage about the errata appearing on D&D Beyond.
becuse 1 thing being changed is annoying but we got it here... and when I went to look, I could not confirm it (but I have no reason not to believe it) then we were told more things got changed but that is a topic we can't talk about (and I got lucky someone PMed me it) now even those that are not on here we have to tell "Oh they fixed it, here is how, you can only actually see the fix (for now atleast) if you pay for it"

do you not understand how "the fix is behind a paywall" can lead to issues and hurt feelings?
I'm a book person myself- I will not be paying for D&D beyond (although I did get a free account for the playtest material).
same boat... but as my friends group chat is blowing up right now we are debating if one of us HAS to buy things through Beyond so we can keep up... and that is annoying.
But prior to this, we still had to wait a long time for errata to be released. Now they are moving to their digital platform- but they will still release the errata as they used to.
maybe... we assume. Has WotC said "don't worry the free version is coming"?
The bigger concern isn't the errata (seriously), it's the overall move to D&D Beyond.
that is it... up until last night when this hit I saw a Beyond account as a little thing that would help organize things... now I am seeing it as a new way to distribute updates.
It's all going there- the UA. The surveys. All of it. The errata really is meaningless if you use the books - assumedly, we will get a full release on all errata at the same time we normally do. The bigger concern is that it is clear that all the engagement is moving to Beyond. That's the story.
the more that moves there the more it will be needed... as long as it's free it is annoying but I can deal, putting updates behind a paywall is a step too far for me.

Well there goes the motivation for my new character Stuka the Dauntless, Hadozee Paladin
hey look at it this way if you find a DM that doesn't use this site or redit, and bought a physical book they wont know it doesn't work... even if they go to WotC site every day and have a free Beyond account

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The 150 move was of course the extreme but there were many less extreme ways to get obscene movement out of this race which was not intended. It was obviously written poorly from the get go and a lot of people pointed it out during playtesting.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Brief thoughts-

1. It really is unfortunate that they had to change the glide ability just because some people thought of a way to abuse RAW and jump. The new rule doesn't match the fiction very well, especially when the Hardozee is at a great height.
All they had to do was change the existing text to state that you couldn't move more than your movement in a round, just like jumping counts against your movement in a round, and it would have worked fine. I don't understand why they decided to change the ability so much.

I think the biggest reason for the reaction here is concern that, with so many people pointing it out in multiple playtest surveys, why didn't they fix it before publication and does this say something larger about the playtests and surveys which we should be concerned about with a new version of core books being planned.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Would the easy thing have been to make it work like feather fall* with some amount of horizontal movement per round that wasn't ridiculous? (Maybe, up to the distance fallen? Or twice the distance fallen?)

*"descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the [effect] ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the [effect] ends for that creature."

Remove ads