D&D 5E Hadozee Gliding

Stormonu

Legend
Okay, hadozees have an interesting glide ability. However, I'm uncomfortable with one section of it, as I can see it prone to abuse. I'm in favor of a rewrite of it. Quoting the original text below:

Glide. If you are not incapacitated or wearing heavy armor, you can extend your skin membranes and glide. When you do so, you can perform the following aerial maneuvers:

• You can move up to 5 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend in the air, at no movement cost to you.
  • When you would take damage from a fall, you can use your reaction to reduce the fall’s damage to 0.

My initial rewrite:

You can glide up to 60 feet a round. For every 5 feet you move horizontally, you descend 1 foot. You can continue gliding as long as you have the vertical space to do so. If you wish to land, you must be at least 3 feet (or half your character height?) above the ground level to not land prone. If you land as part of your movement, your speed is reduced by 1 foot for every 2 feet you spend gliding.

Hopefully, this should prevent the hop-charging barbarian. It should still allow hadozee characters to glide down from a tree, land and move a few feet to do other things. It should also allow the hadozee character to jump from cliff ledge to ledge, drop down a bit and land on the ground and get (a bit) closer to an enemy, without it being over the top.

jgsugden

Legend
My fix: You can move up to 5 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend in the air. The first 30 feet horizontally has no movemet cost to you, but each additional foot counts against your movement as per normal.

Weiley31

Legend
WoTC: Oh goodness, thank Ao we keep bounded accuracy in check, and nothing gets broken.

Player: What about the Hadozee's gliding and the Thri-Kreen's Chameleon Carapace for Thri-Kreen Monks?

WoTC:
1660768471385.png

On the Hadozee, one way of thinking about this is if you are playing on 5 foot grid squares, if you are within 5 feet of the ground you are ON the ground (since you have to occupy your cube) and therefore cannot glide.

Remove ads