WotC WotC invites Bob the World Builder and other creators to an in person Summit.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The OGL debacle really soured him on D&D, though. So it will be interesting to see if the summit can get him more or less back on board.
The OGL thing soured him on WotC. He still repeatedly says he loves D&D. He was sliding into old-school D&D and adjacent games before the debacle.

His current game of choice is Dungeon Crawl Classics. Which instantly made his the largest channel talking about DCC.
Given his subscriber numbers, I was surprised he was on the list for the apology tour.
He’s got 143k subscribers. That’s enough that he could quit his job and do the YouTube thing full time.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think @Micah Sweet was talking more generally about influencers and not Bob or anyone in particular.

I know I share that sentiment. I dislike the general idea of influencers and that is a roadblock for me to even begin watching someone. It isn't about the specific person and whether or not they embody traits I dislike, it is just the concept taints the whole endeavor for me. It is more on the observer end than the presenter end. It is a distaste for advertising really.
That is absolutely correct. Since I don't watch them, it would be pretty disingenuous of me to call out any particular person.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The OGL thing soured him on WotC. He still repeatedly says he loves D&D. He was sliding into old-school D&D and adjacent games before the debacle.

His current game of choice is Dungeon Crawl Classics. Which instantly made his the largest channel talking about DCC.

He’s got 143k subscribers. That’s enough that he could quit his job and do the YouTube thing full time.
Shame I hardly ever watch YouTube. I love DCC!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Shame I hardly ever watch YouTube. I love DCC!
It's really kinda bizarre. But there are a few. Besides Bob, there's Questing Beast, Dungeon Craft, Jorphdan, WasabiBurger, and a few more. But as you go down that list the subscribers and views drop quite a lot. Here's to hoping with the latest diaspora from official D&D that more people will start talking about DCC.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
well, yeah, obviously. The point is to spread the news to their audiences, not for some adventure writer to go ‘this is a nice VTT’ and then going back to working on his adventure
Plenty of people use the written word to cover the same things the video people do, and get more reads than the video people do (SlyFlourish, Alphastream, NewbieDM, ENWorld)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The OGL debacle really soured him on D&D, though. So it will be interesting to see if the summit can get him more or less back on board.

"We still invite people who don't 100% agree with us," seems to be an excellent message for WotC to send with this.

It's not really a creator's summit so much as a video event

Yeah, well, these days video content seems to have the bigger sway, and probably reaches the desired audiences more effectively than written articles.

Last edited:

Remove ads