WotC Is Hiring A New D&D Game Designer

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

wotclogo.gif

The job is based near Seattle, at WotC's main offices. Click here to check it out.

It's interesting that the task of "a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons" is specifically called out in the introduction.

fjw70

Adventurer
Ooof. All these positions seem to pop up just a bit too early for me. I'd love to work for WotC and I genuinely think I've got the project-based attitude and team-based development experience, but I just got out of uni and into the games industry proper, so I feel like I need another 2-3 years under my belt, at the very least, before I have a shot to get anywhere other than the bottom of the slush pile. Oh, well. Time to work harder!

You should apply anyway. All they can do is say no. It might be a good network opportunity for you.

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
Baker already had a freelance history with Atlas games. I remember the occasional sour grapes forum posting that the Open Call had to be fixed if a semi/full pro had snagged it.

On that new blood comment, though. The co-writer for Critical Role's setting this year was an intern at Geek and Sundry who convinced Matthew Mercer to find a publisher.

Oh hey, that's me!

It's true, I was an undergrad in college when I coauthored the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, and an intern at G&S of only about 6 months. But at that point, I had been editor of EN5ider for two years and a freelance designer for Kobold Press for just under a year. It was still a lucky break, and certainly my highest profile project to date, but Matt only trusted me with his baby because I had proven myself on smaller scales. Athena springing forth fully formed, I am not!

thekindgm

Villager
I hope that:
a) They want to increase the size of the team and not replace someone.
b) We'll start seeing other settings. I believe it's time to see older settings being updated to 5e, and also I wouldn't mind seeing a new one.

Michael Dean

Explorer
Oh hey, that's me!

It's true, I was an undergrad in college when I coauthored the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, and an intern at G&S of only about 6 months. But at that point, I had been editor of EN5ider for two years and a freelance designer for Kobold Press for just under a year. It was still a lucky break, and certainly my highest profile project to date, but Matt only trusted me with his baby because I had proven myself on smaller scales. Athena springing forth fully formed, I am not!

Hey, I just picked up Tal'Dorei yesterday in a little town named Gaylord, Michigan on my way home from a trial in Marquette, Michigan! Kept me up til midnight reading it. Great job!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I remember someone from WotC (Nathan Steward?) saying that their spring release will no longer be locked in as an AP. That they don't want to be so predictable. I also remember Mearls saying that when they release a new setting they want it to be mechanically distinct and interesting. Not just updated lore with a few new classes.

I wonder if any of that has to do with the new hire.

Or it could just be that the team is starting to feel the wear and tear from the Con circuit, Stream of annihilation (Which they confirmed they will be doing again next year), and increase internet celebrity/promoting/presence and need someone to lighten their load a little bit while also manning the helm as they run around.

You may be interested in this thread.

Remove ads

Remove ads