WotC Is Hiring A New D&D Game Designer

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

wotclogo.gif

The job is based near Seattle, at WotC's main offices. Click here to check it out.

It's interesting that the task of "a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons" is specifically called out in the introduction.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Possibly, there have been some planar options floated recently, however, we also have the artificer being tested so Eberron is also a contender. Of course we also have the mystic in test so maybe dark sun?

Boop!
Planescape is the default described setting in the core books, tying every other setting together: Artificers and Mystics would fit in Sigil nicely.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Planescape is the default described setting in the core books, tying every other setting together: Artificers and Mystics would fit in Sigil nicely.
They would fit into planescape, however I feel that if they are putting together the artificer that they will tie it into its native setting which is eberron. The mystic could see the return of dark sun which would be cool, however it isn't as tied to a single setting as the artificer is.

Boop!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They would fit into planescape, however I feel that if they are putting together the artificer that they will tie it into its native setting which is eberron. The mystic could see the return of dark sun which would be cool, however it isn't as tied to a single setting as the artificer is.

Boop!
They've made it pretty clear they want the Artificer to work as a generic D&D Class, though: heck, the flavor text from the most recent playtesting set an Artificer in Mystara, of all worlds.

Definitely sounds like a great opportunity, primarily for a young talent, or at very least someone not having not support a family. With D&D really doing well, I’m optimistic for the first time since the 3.0 days for WotC’s growth. I wouldn’t trade my kids away, but sometimes makes me wonder if this position had come up when I was in my early 20’s. ;)

Also, as an aside on the “updating a setting book”, I’m definitely putting my money on a Planescape flavored Manual of the Planes (since they seem to prefer flavor-enhanced rulebooks) and an adventure based on the next Modron March. The general timeframe is actually pretty close for the next legit one after the early Tenebrous one given the dates for 5e FR adventures, plus if they like dropping early hints, there are modrons and references to the March everywhere in the books, but I’m biased.

Although whoever is hired for this position, I’m not sure they would have their main book out by next Fall or not. That’s a pretty tight timeline for a new hire and WotC’s level of production, but certainly not impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Definitely sounds like a great opportunity, primarily for a young talent, or at very least someone not having not support a family. With D&D really doing well, I’m optimistic for the first time since the 3.0 days for WotC’s growth. I wouldn’t trade my kids away, but sometimes makes me wonder if this position had come up when I was in my early 20’s. ;)

Also, as an aside on the “updating a setting book”, I’m definitely putting my money on a Planescape flavored Manual of the Planes (since they seem to prefer flavor-enhanced rulebooks) and an adventure based on the next Modron March. The general timeframe is actually pretty close for the next legit one after the early Tenebrous one given the dates for 5e FR adventures, plus if they like dropping early hints, there are modrons and references to the March everywhere in the books, but I’m biased.

Although whoever is hired for this position, I’m not sure they would have their main book out by next Fall or not. That’s a pretty tight timeline for a new hire and WotC’s level of production, but certainly not impossible.
So, here's a thought: what they want for this new hire is much like what Perkins has been doing for the APs, and Crawford has done for Volo's and XGtE. They are pretty dedicated to the three books a year strategy, so maybe they want one book lead per major yearly release?

Bob Churchill

First Post
I’m pretty sure there are laws that say you have to post a job — if you’re going to open it up to H1-B and similar candidates — so everyone can pretend they tried to find a citizen before giving the job to a foreigner who will work for significantly less and can’t escape for several years. They’ll also include an absurd list of highly specific qualifications that no living human could meet, so ultimately they end up doing whatever they want, but only after pointless bureaucratic delays...

Fortunately that nonsense doesn’t likely apply in this case.

Remove ads

Remove ads