WOTC is hiring a new Game Designer for D&D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Chicago Manual of Style if I am correct is a manual which details ways in writing/describing things, such as a booklet for a lawnmower that tells you how to assemble it.

The Chicago Manual of Style is more comprehensive than that. It has parts relevant to technical writing, parts relevant to academic work (it is a strong standard for citations, for example). A lot of journalism is written following the CMoS, and it also covers general grammar and style. So, noting the CMoS does not instantly imply technical writing.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah, I had to follow the Chicago Manual of Style for my undergrad history term papers; it's basically like MLA or APA but generally more rigorous than the former and less ludicrous and awful than the latter. Of all of the style guides I've had to follow (including also ASA, which is essentially APA-lite) I always found Chicago the best for academic writing.

The best solution to the wage-slave dilemma is to love doing something that pays well.

We could always try overthrowing the bourgeois oligarchical capitalist regime before it destroys us all instead. I hear that plays well with the sub-30 set. :]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yes - the distinctive thing about Chicago is that when it comes to (academic) referencing of sources, it is the most complete resource available -- how to cite blog posts, how to cite unpublished materials from the 16th c., everything. That is what makes it stand out from other style guides.

It's an important reference work (I have mine by my desk, and use it regularly). But it is a surprising emphasis for a work that doesn't have footnotes and regular references.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

Please play nice, and keep your worst impulses and internet discussion habits in check, please.

Oh, and agitation for the sake of agitation? Probably not a stellar move. Just sayin'.

Why.So.Serious.
Because it’s a serious issue.
There’s an epidemic of hate online aimed at female creatives that has ripped through video games, movies, and comic books. It’s hit on RPGs a few times and we don’t need that getting worse.
And we certainly don’t need to joke about it like the poor treatment of women gamers in the industry and gaming tables is some kind of laughing matter.

How pray tell, did I manage to imply this?
You literally just said:
What they NEED is the best person they can get for the job.
which implies a scenario where they wouldn’t. Otherwise, that wouldn’t have needed to be said.

And since it followed a comment where you explicitly brought up gender, this also implies they might hire someone who is not the best person for the job but is a minority.
Which, by the way, CAN count as an added qualification. Because different life experiences and perceptions offer a different perspective to their writing. You don’t want a team of people who all think the same and come at the game in the same way.

Imagine looking at two candidates who can both do the job. One is more experienced but those experiences and their approaches are just like one or two other members of the team. The other is less experienced but offers a different perspective. In both cases you’ll get someone who can do the job. But who do you hire?
I’d go with the one that adds more to the team.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've been in leadership management in one form or another for decades. It has been unequivocally proven many times that the more diverse workforce you have, the better the product and more efficient the team. In some studies, by an increase of up to 20%.

So all else equal in applicant qualifications, hiring the diverse choice is the better choice. And as long as people keep questioning the validity of a hire who happens to be a minority, it displays in spades why such programs are necessary. Reminds me of a quote from Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

"[W]hen I’m sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the supreme court]? And I say ‘When there are nine.’ People are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes - the distinctive thing about Chicago is that when it comes to (academic) referencing of sources, it is the most complete resource available -- how to cite blog posts, how to cite unpublished materials from the 16th c., everything. That is what makes it stand out from other style guides.

It's an important reference work (I have mine by my desk, and use it regularly). But it is a surprising emphasis for a work that doesn't have footnotes and regular references.

The style guide handles more than just references, and is an overall solid professional standard.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The style guide handles more than just references, and is an overall solid professional standard.

Yeah Chicago is more than just references and citations, it's also a style guide; much like Strunk & White's Elements of Style (which I think is frankly overrated compared to Chicago).

Sadras

Legend
Because it’s a serious issue.

Yes it is. Rape, cancer, death, war, sexism are all serious issues are you saying people are not allowed to make jabs about them? I do concede, this is probably not the best forum, since I'm not familiar with the posters and everyone has different levels of sensitivity, so for that I apologise.

which implies a scenario where they wouldn’t. Otherwise, that wouldn’t have needed to be said.

By the same token I can call out your comment as implying that they wouldn't hire a person of colour, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to say that.

Which, by the way, CAN count as an added qualification. Because different life experiences and perceptions offer a different perspective to their writing. You don’t want a team of people who all think the same and come at the game in the same way.

Totally agree with this.

Last edited:

Remove ads