WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@FrogReaver

Returning to the central topic,

The problematic MTG cards, are examples that I expect the "Senior Manager Diversity Equity & Inclusion" to also be on the lookout for. Sometimes, there are unfortunate confluences, that are unintentional, whether accidental or uncritical reuse of tropes.

In other words, I assume this Manager will be responsible for monitoring the content of D&D products, as well as informing the personnel that creates this content.

I may be wrong but it sounded more like a people oriented HR role than a product oriented one. Possibly some overlap though.

@Haldrik

I think that it is expedient to have some review of products before release to avoid offensive content.
I expect the inclusivity manager needs to maintain professional contacts with knowledge members of various identity groups, and to make sure these contacts are reasonably diverse and representative. So when a product is developing, the manager will be able to delegate the product to various identity groups for review. It seems like an aspect of normal playtesting, but focusing more on relations with various communities, rather than the mechanics.

FrogReaver

I expect the inclusivity manager needs to maintain professional contacts with knowledge members of various identity groups, and to make sure these contacts are reasonably diverse and representative. So when a product is developing, the manager will be able to delegate the product to various identity groups for review. It seems like an aspect of normal playtesting, but focusing more on relations with various communities, rather than the mechanics.

maybe. There’s lots of ways to structure and org to accomplish that goal. I actually see a different unrelated role being responsible for editing and quality (of which a subset would be non offensive product).

You'd need to hire actual white supremacists to be able to spot every single subtle reference like "1488" though. I'm not sure if that's the kind of diversity WotC is aiming for.

Some issues are simply unrealistic to stop in advance, they have to be dealt with when they become apparent instead.

MGibster

Legend
The problematic MTG cards, are examples that I expect the "Senior Manager Diversity Equity & Inclusion" to also be on the lookout for. Sometimes, there are unfortunate confluences, that are unintentional, whether accidental or uncritical reuse of tropes.

Not directly. What they'll do is make sure there are a diverse number of viewpoints in the workplace and hopefully one of them might catch similar references.

In other words, I assume this Manager will be responsible for monitoring the content of D&D products, as well as informing the personnel that creates this content.

That's half right. Editorial input on products isn't anywhere in the job description. And quite frankly, you don't want HR having control of your gaming content. Unless we're designing Cubicals & Coaching: Role Playing in the Grim Present of Corporate Culture.

maybe. There’s lots of ways to structure and org to accomplish that goal. I actually see a different unrelated role being responsible for editing and quality (of which a subset would be non offensive product).
I am sure delegation is necessary. A person might be highly knowledgeable about black American history and contemporary diversity among black communties. At the same time, they might be less knowledgeable about Asian communities (East, West, South, North, Central), gay communties, gender communties, rich versus poor, or so on. The professional position seems impossible for a single person to do all of it well.

I want to emphasize how diverse black Americans are. Where I live, we have American Southern black communities, being small towns and sometimes rural. Caribbean black, like Bahamas, Jamaica, and Barbados. Haitian black, which is unique. And Latino black, which is Latino. My brother and I found blacks in Boston to be distinctive, generally middle class and professional as a group. And even there Jamaican blacks are a distinctive ethnic community. I have less exposure to black communities in urban areas in California and elsewhere. A person needs to be extraordinarily knowledgeable to have a good feel for black Americans.

Last edited:

You'd need to hire actual white supremacists to be able to spot every single subtle reference like "1488" though. I'm not sure if that's the kind of diversity WotC is aiming for.

Some issues are simply unrealistic to stop in advance, they have to be dealt with when they become apparent instead.
More seriously, the job is to be proactive toward diverse communities, by including tropes and images that each community finds appealing and can relate to.

It is helpful to avoid hategroups. If hateful content happens to show up unintentionally, it is ok to delete it reactively as people become aware of it.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

I am sure delegation is necessary. A person might be highly knowledgeable about black American history and contemporary diversity among black communties. At the same time, they might be less knowledgeable about Asian communities (East, West, South, North, Central), gay communties, gender communties, rich versus poor, or so on. The professional position seems impossible for a single person to do all of it well.

Maybe. Or you consult yearly with experts on those matters and train your employees on what they identify as offensive

or you hope your hr can create a diverse enough workplace that those issues work themselves out.

Lots of ways to accomplish the same goal.

FrogReaver

More seriously, the job is to be proactive toward diverse communities.

It is helpful to avoid hategroups. If hateful content happens to show up unintentionally, it is ok to delete it reactively as people become aware of it.

i have no idea how the second paragraph has anything to do with the job in question.

Remove ads