WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If I were Orion I wouldn't be interested in the job. I tend to quit when I've had my fill and am no longer interested in putting in effort. I'd just assume that I'd be another token to be put on a pedestal as a showpiece when needed and ignored on every other day. That's kind of how they felt when they worked there already, so I would expect more of the same if I were them.
Are you Orion? Or just their spokesperson?

TheSword

Legend
New job posting:

We need a cool cat to come help us do some rad stuff about the things we do and how they get done. We need to do better with stuff, and the other business has also been an issue. The right cat for this gig will be able to do different stuff about business while still keeping the wider issues about other crap in view. Some solid experience with stuff like this would be neat. Drop by our pad if this seems like your bag.
This sounds like an ad for Carol Baskin’s Big Cat Rescue 😂

Dausuul

Legend
That job posting is positively elegant in its opacity. It contains almost every single piece of jargon you would need for an entire slew of "Corporate Meeting Bingo" cards.
Hmm? I took a look at it and it seems remarkably clear. Sure, they slip into buzzword-speak in a few spots, but they are the exception. Overall it looks as if they have put in serious thought about what this hire is supposed to achieve and how.

Of course, none of that means diddly-squat unless the top brass is willing to make changes, including in how they themselves operate. There's no way to know if that's the case until we see the results. But this is at least a step in the right direction.

Thank you! :)

If that was not your meaning, it was a pitiful attempt at communication.

Fair enough.

Hey, we can both do that! Let's not, eh? There's no need to be rude. ;)

Alright.

Nothing about what I said means that I know Orion's thinking, but I have read their open letter/twitlonger because people I follow on twitter retweeted it. No, I'm not speaking as an authority, but that doesn't mean I'm speaking from total ignorance.

In my opinion, what I described is how I interpret the feelings Orion expressed in their letter. To me they seemed so discouraged, so frustrated, and so upset that I don't believe they would be willing to work for WotC again, let alone less than two weeks after they left. They describe themselves as cut off, hurt, and depressed. I think Orion is very deeply hurt by their experience with WotC. I do not think it's a huge leap in logic or a subversion of their agency to say that. If I felt the way Orion has described themselves, I would not be interested in working for WotC again. Probably ever.

The post I quoted spoke about burned bridges. The bridges I'm thinking about are those that WotC burned with Orion.

MGibster

Legend
Of course, none of that means diddly-squat unless the top brass is willing to make changes, including in how they themselves operate. There's no way to know if that's the case until we see the results. But this is at least a step in the right direction.

The low end of the salary scale for an HR manager in the Seattle area is $63,000 annually. That's the low end. A willingness to spend money is indicative that WotC genuinely wishes to make some changes to their organization. They are putting their money where their mouth is.

lavamancer

Villager
I like the title of the position:
  • diversity, views from different identity groups, genders, sexual orientations, ethnicities, perhaps ages and economies
  • equity, respect each identity group with culturally accurate descriptions and fairness between identity groups
  • inclusivity, make sure reallife gamers feel welcome and have images and descriptions that they can relate to and enjoy

It seems then that it's not merely a human resources position despite the title; it looks like this position includes some design or (more likely) editorial responsibility.

MGibster

Legend
It seems then that it's not merely a human resources position despite the title; it looks like this position includes some design or (more likely) editorial responsibility.

The Senior Manager Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion position is focused on "attracting, retaining and developing talent that reflects our audiences and promoting an inclusive environment where employees throughout the company can perform at their best." I don't see anything in the job description that would suggest this HR manager has any editorial input on WotC products. In fact, having someone from HR tell a line managers how to run their business is a good way to alienate management which is no way to start a strategic partnership.

Remove ads