WotC lays off entire Latin American team less than 1 year after creating division

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This thread is about WotC layoffs, not a contest to see who knows more about Latin America. Stay on topic or we’ll close it, please.

Ignoring Moderator Instructions
I don't ask you to agree me, but in the name of the good sense let's try an effort to understand the mind by the other side. Sun Tzu said "Know your enemy and know yourself".

Let's remember PC race has been replaced with PC specie. Orcs and drows, among other groups or creatures, are being retouched to avoid these could be used for racist allegories against communities from the real world.

And I have said we should use the name H instead L because beyond our old habits we could find intentions to manipulate our opinion. H was the original name, and now it is being replaced with other because a group of people want we forget the previous. It is as if the name of my land when we were the supreme power was marked as a taboo, as a revengue against the rival power. It would be as if a girl is angry with you because you have call her "Lisa" but she says her true name is "Isabel", as her grandmother, (and the Spanish queen) not Elisabeth, and she hates the name Elisabeth because she has got Spanish-Irish blood, (and she dislkes queen Elisabeth I very much) and she also suffered school bulling by a girl who name was Elisabeth.

Southamerican is a politically correct term, and here we have used it even for people from Mesoamerica. "Sudaca" sounds more pejorative.

Maybe there was something rotten in the division, or they are going to hire a different group.... and maybe it is not Hasbro's choice, but somebody has ordered to do it, external pressures. Why? Sorry, here you could say I have read too many conspirancy theories. Maybe Hasbro isn't allowed to grow more but the the investment funds ordered it to follow certain agenda.

Even if Hasbro faced menace of bankrupt by fault of wrong choices, D&D is now a too potentially valious brand to disappear. If other megacorporations could, these would try to acquired it. But I am afraid 2023 is going to be a horrible year for the economy, and even the biggest megacorporations in the world could face serious problemas. Maybe any of these doesn't survive for a long time, and not only because economic reasons.

Spanish, next to Chinese and English, is one of the most talked languanges in the world, but the impact within the entertaiment industry is relatively small. Lots of times online videogames are translated to French or German, but not to Spanish. Why? I am afraid because Southamerica is too poor to try make money in Spanish language. And in Europe Spanish economy isn't either in our best time.

---

Magic: The Gathering Becomes a Billion-Dollar Brand for Toymaker Hasbro​

The fantasy card game has surpassed the sales of the 100-year-old company’s other brands, including Transformers and G.I. Joe, but some are worried about the downsides of rapid growth.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't ask you to agree me, but in the name of the good sense let's try an effort to understand the mind by the other side. Sun Tzu said "Know your enemy and know yourself".

Let's remember PC race has been replaced with PC specie. Orcs and drows, among other groups or creatures, are being retouched to avoid these could be used for racist allegories against communities from the real world.

And I have said we should use the name H instead L because beyond our old habits we could find intentions to manipulate our opinion. H was the original name, and now it is being replaced with other because a group of people want we forget the previous. It is as if the name of my land when we were the supreme power was marked as a taboo, as a revengue against the rival power. It would be as if a girl is angry with you because you have call her "Lisa" but she says her true name is "Isabel", as her grandmother, (and the Spanish queen) not Elisabeth, and she hates the name Elisabeth because she has got Spanish-Irish blood, (and she dislkes queen Elisabeth I very much) and she also suffered school bulling by a girl who name was Elisabeth.

Southamerican is a politically correct term, and here we have used it even for people from Mesoamerica. "Sudaca" sounds more pejorative.

Maybe there was something rotten in the division, or they are going to hire a different group.... and maybe it is not Hasbro's choice, but somebody has ordered to do it, external pressures. Why? Sorry, here you could say I have read too many conspirancy theories. Maybe Hasbro isn't allowed to grow more but the the investment funds ordered it to follow certain agenda.

Even if Hasbro faced menace of bankrupt by fault of wrong choices, D&D is now a too potentially valious brand to disappear. If other megacorporations could, these would try to acquired it. But I am afraid 2023 is going to be a horrible year for the economy, and even the biggest megacorporations in the world could face serious problemas. Maybe any of these doesn't survive for a long time, and not only because economic reasons.

Spanish, next to Chinese and English, is one of the most talked languanges in the world, but the impact within the entertaiment industry is relatively small. Lots of times online videogames are translated to French or German, but not to Spanish. Why? I am afraid because Southamerica is too poor to try make money in Spanish language. And in Europe Spanish economy isn't either in our best time.
I thought I was clear, but clearly I was not. Please do not post again in this thread.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Re: Latin America being poor and a poor market.

It doesn't work like that. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that have less to do with purchasing power and more to do with a fragmented market, cultural makeup, and honestly poor timing. D&D was simultaneously too "satanic" for the mainstream while at the same time too tame for the counterculture in the 90s and early oughts. Contrast with Vampire the Masquerade (and OWOD by extension) which was the game dujoir for goths, metalheads and the like. And similarly, MTG got that same counterculture creed. Contrast with Yugioh and Pokemon which are very mainstream.

And by fragmented market I really mean it. Preferences vary wildly by the country. Here it is easier to ger access to the English version, which is perceived as being a better version. Contrast with Argentina where the Spanish version is more accesible. I think im part because culturally and linguistically they are very similar to Spain . Not a coincidence they have the largest Spanish speaking RPG community.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
Re: Latin America being poor and a poor market.

It doesn't work like that. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that have less to do with purchasing power and more to do with a fragmented market, cultural makeup, and honestly poor timing. D&D was simultaneously too "satanic" for the mainstream while at the same time too tame for the counterculture in the 90s and early oughts. Contrast with Vampire the Masquerade (and OWOD by extension) which was the game dujoir for goths, metalheads and the like. And similarly, MTG got that same counterculture creed. Contrast with Yugioh and Pokemon which are very mainstream.

And by fragmented market I really mean it. Preferences vary wildly by the country. Here it is easier to ger access to the English version, which is perceived as being a better version. Contrast with Argentina where the Spanish version is more accesible. I think im part because culturally and linguistically they are very similar to Spain . Not a coincidence they have the largest Spanish speaking RPG community.
Here in Brazil D&D was the big thing for a long time, the satanic panic didn't inpact us until the 90s... But then we all became edgy teenagers and Vampire exploded in popularity. Pathfinder never really took of until recently with PF2e, so D&D continued big. When WotC didn't translate 5e until 2018-2019 other games found space to grow and we started having million reais (our currency) crowdfunding campaigns. While all this was going on Tormenta (Brazils biggest game) kept strong and is probably the most played right now. There was never a problem of being too poor of a market here to.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Here in Brazil D&D was the big thing for a long time, the satanic panic didn't inpact us until the 90s... But then we all became edgy teenagers and Vampire exploded in popularity. Pathfinder never really took of until recently with PF2e, so D&D continued big. When WotC didn't translate 5e until 2018-2019 other games found space to grow and we started having million reais (our currency) crowdfunding campaigns. While all this was going on Tormenta (Brazils biggest game) kept strong and is probably the most played right now. There was never a problem of being too poor of a market here to.
The biggest problem has been the historic lack of interest of WotC in trying to understand the market. (As I alluded earlier, lots of poor timing)

Remove ads