• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC Map Galleries

Hussar

Legend
Just took a look at the Forge of War map gallery. I'd love to say that the maps look great, but, y'know what? Straining my eyes to see a map two inches square on my screen isn't much of a preview. I can appreciate bandwidth issues. I honestly can. But, good grief, a map like this:

105885.jpg

doesn't tell me anything. I've got a pretty decent monitor and an ok video card, and, I don't even wear glasses, but, jeez, could you possibly make that any smaller? If I get out a magnifying glass I might be able to read the names on the maps.

If you're not going to make the previews readable, why bother?

/end rant.

Nyeshet

First Post
I think they do it that way on purpose, so that you only get a vague notion of what the map looks like and are also unable to use it without buying the book it is in.

Glyfair

Explorer
Nyeshet said:
I think they do it that way on purpose, so that you only get a vague notion of what the map looks like and are also unable to use it without buying the book it is in.

Maybe. It's also possible it's for storage issues. WotC used to have both a low and high resolution version and the high res version took a long time to load. They were quite large.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Nyeshet said:

There is truth to this but those are pretty darn small.

The Mournlands map is ok but the rest are tiny. I'll mention it to the web guys at work in the AM and see if we can bump em up so at least you can read them. :)

meomwt

First Post
A big hand for Scott for his courteous reply - there'll be an even bigger cheer if the Web Guys at WotC manage to make the Map readable.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:

The Mournlands map is ok but the rest are tiny. I'll mention it to the web guys at work in the AM and see if we can bump em up so at least you can read them. :)

But-but-but...villains!...Mustaches!....twirling...

Why aren't you more evil?!?!?! :confused: :confused:

Klaus

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:

That'd be awesome, Scott! Thanks for the speedy intervention!

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I spoke with Bart Carroll this morning and he made them bigger.

They aren't huge because this was the largest image size he had on hand but at least you can read them now.

I am a map junkie. I can look over TOPO maps for hours so I know how peopl feel about the smaller map sizes on the web. In the future we'll se if we can make them even bigger than these so you can really dig into the detail. :cool:

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Scott_Rouse said:
I spoke with Bart Carroll this morning and he made them bigger.

They aren't huge because this was the largest image size he had on hand but at least you can read them now.

I am a map junkie. I can look over TOPO maps for hours so I know how peopl feel about the smaller map sizes on the web. In the future we'll se if we can make them even bigger than these so you can really dig into the detail. :cool:

Good to go, I have a warm fuzzy getting ready to go home now. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads