D&D General WotC: Novels & Non-5E Lore Are Officially Not Canon

At a media press briefing last week, WotC's Jeremey Crawford clarified what is and is not canon for D&D. "For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game." "If you’re looking for what’s official...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a media press briefing last week, WotC's Jeremey Crawford clarified what is and is not canon for D&D.

"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game."

despair.jpg

"If you’re looking for what’s official in the D&D roleplaying game, it’s what appears in the products for the roleplaying game. Basically, our stance is that if it has not appeared in a book since 2014, we don’t consider it canonical for the games."

2014 is the year that D&D 5th Edition launched.

He goes on to say that WotC takes inspiration from past lore and sometimes adds them into official lore.

Over the past five decades of D&D, there have been hundreds of novels, more than five editions of the game, about a hundred video games, and various other items such as comic books, and more. None of this is canon. Crawford explains that this is because they "don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels."

He cites the Dragonlance adventures, specifically.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But the original universes are dead.

They don't write any new stories for those original story lines. Every time they reboot a particular line, the older line ends and is pretty much never revisited or referenced. When Aunt May goes from being an elderly, frail lady to a MILF in Ultimate Spiderman (and the recent movies) they don't ever reference old lady Aunt May ever again. Aunt May is no longer an old lady. She's a MILF played by a very hot actress who possibly is dating Iron Man's sidekick.

So, if the original universes are dead and never actually happened, how is that not invalidating the source material? Aunt May was, according to the most recent Spiderman movies (sorry, haven't read the comic books in years) was never an elderly, frail woman. That's a direct contradiction of canon and the original canon is now swept away and forgotten.
Every one of the stories you mentioned is in an alternate universe, or came from one. The original 616 universe is (more or less) still there. The original Peter Parker is, to my knowledge, still alive and kicking. None of what you described invalidated any of that. That's the difference, to me anyway.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That certainly didn't stop people from losing their freaking minds over perceived canon issues. "This isn't even D&D" was the common refrain, and a lot of it was tied to how 4e changed lore. One only has to look at endless threads over rust monsters, minotaurs, medusa and whatnot. I remember one medusa thread where we actually went through EVERY D&D description of Medusas to show that the canon claims were not true and people STILL refused to accept it.
At the time 4e came out, it was intended as replacement lore for the most part. I didn't care for the changes personally, but I didn't like 4e much in general, and with a little time to breathe it's easy to ignore.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That certainly didn't stop people from losing their freaking minds over perceived canon issues. "This isn't even D&D" was the common refrain, and a lot of it was tied to how 4e changed lore. One only has to look at endless threads over rust monsters, minotaurs, medusa and whatnot. I remember one medusa thread where we actually went through EVERY D&D description of Medusas to show that the canon claims were not true and people STILL refused to accept it.
I noped out of 4E (because of how illusions were handled or, rather, not handled, since it was clear it was a more mechanistic game than I was interested in). And while some of the lore was great, some of it was not to my tastes. But it never would have occurred to me to think that it "wasn't D&D," even if it wasn't for me.

People are weird.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Then either I was unclear or you misunderstood me, but I was trying to communicate that the nature of canon is more than just a declaration of status. I've mentioned at length that there's also things such as the externalized nature of it, the mode(s) of engagement, and the nature by which it defines things so to aid with the conceptualization of the aspects that remain undefined. None of that means that the declaration of status isn't also a part of that; it is, and it's important. It's just not all there is when we look at what constitutes "canon."

In this case, removing that particular designation of status is enough to render something non-canon, which isn't surprising: all WotC did was issue a declaration that the pre-5E material was non-canon, after all.

However, where you lose me is when you say that isn't something that "should" be a big deal. Saying "should" is an instance of pushing your beliefs on others, by telling them what you think is and is not worthwhile for them to care about. That's not really something that benefits anyone.

You can't really have a disagreement without opposing viewpoints.

I recognize people are getting upset over the lose of an official stamp. I'm just putting forth that, considering the nature of TTRPGs and fiction in general, it really shouldn't be something that we get that upset over. For example, retcons break canon. Sometime they do it softly, sometimes brutally. But the point of Retroactive Continuity is to take the canon of what happened and change it.

That isn't neccessarily a bad thing, and so canon being immutable and unalterable is something we already agree is not true. The next step I think is recognizing that there is no real issue with multiple levels of canon.

I'm snipping your examples there because you're running into the issue of modes of engagement again. I've noted (back in this post) that that's a different mode from engaging with the nature of the lore, setting, characters, history, etc. on their own, apart from their use as aids in game-play. I should note that both are entirely legitimate on their own, and being separate ways of engagement, should probably each be discussed on their own terms. As I mentioned previously, there's nothing wrong with disregarding canon for your home game, as that's a necessary component of using them to game with; you're going to be adding and/or changing things simply by setting a game in a canon setting (even if the scope and scale are small). But that's not the same as talking about the canon nature of the lore unto itself.

Sure snip it and lets talk modes of engagement.

If I went and purchased the novels by Kevin Anderson that are no longer canon, did I waste my time or money? If I found a fanfiction site and found a Star Wars Fanfiction that I read, did I waste my time?

Am I pursuing a different mode of engagement in watching the official movies, reading Anderson's work, or reading a fanfiction? To me, all of them are the same mode of engagement. I'm not engaging in a different mode, I'm involving different canons perhaps, but that isn't a different mode of engagement.

So, do you think there is a mode of engagement that is different between reading a story that is written by Anderson and one written by a fanfic writer online? Did reading Anderson's stories change when Disney said "that isn't part of our canon anymore"?

It's not that I'm "missing" that, it's that I fundamentally disagree. Fans can introduce their own changes - there's nothing wrong with that - but those changes by their very nature are not canon to the work in question. Canon isn't something determined by them due to its externality, and as such the changes they introduce aren't understood to then become part of that externalized conceptual framework. The stories they make might have their own derivative lore (again, no pejorative there), but internal consistency alone isn't enough, which is why they can still be queried for how new aspects of the canon that they're making use of impact their derivative work. Of course, they can just declare an alternate universe or something to similar effect, but that's not canon. Like with a home D&D game, it's a personalized extrapolation of something that exists beyond the individuals using it can change.

Why not?

Why is canon only held by a corporation? Why can't other writers have Canon? OR maybe they do, maybe Rowling has Canon... but then does Heyman have canon for making a movie based on the same stuff? It certainly didn't play into the books, the original canon. There are dozens of authors making works tied into the Harry Potter universe. What do you call their continuity? If it isn't "canon" what is it?

I suppose that's as good a summary of our difference of opinion as any. I'm simply of the mind that imbuing derivative works as having canon - or, if you want to phrase it differently, the same "gradation" of canon - as that which they're making use of, it essentially erodes the term to the point where it's not (very) useful in discussions regarding the source material. When someone wants to differentiate between the standardized body of lore that all fans of a given work would know from their own personalized alterations to it, being able to call one "canon" - and define what makes it that way, in a manner that the personalized alteration lacks - seems to better encourage the discussion.

For me, it's important to be able to keep that definition intact, if only to help define why, for instance, My Little Pony fans care more about what the forthcoming movie will do to the canon established by the last nine seasons (plus the movie, special, web-shorts, etc.) of Friendship is Magic than they do about any particular work on fimfiction.net. There's a reason why that is, and having the terms and definitions to discuss why that is abets the discourse in a way that saying "it's all canon, since everyone determines their personal canon" doesn't.

That's what titles are for.

Disney's Star Wars Canon vs Star Wars Expanded Universe Canon.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Canon vs Hasbro's 1987 My Little Pony Canon.

DnD 5e Canon vs DnD 3.5 Canon.

It doesn't make "canon" worthless as a term, it just means you have canon for thing A and canon for thing B.

I'm not sure that a home D&D game can be canon in anything other than setup, since no one in this thread is suggesting that trying to maintain canon in game-play means that you then can't alter anything in the course of play. Certainly I'm not suggesting that; quite the opposite, I said previously that what you do in your home game will likely necessarily alter the established canon, which is fine, because a personal game has no canon aspects to it, anymore than fanfiction does (which, to be clear, is none).

Which means it isn't canon at all. As noted previously, the status declaration isn't the only thing aspect of canon, but it's an important part of it. That can be seen in how people distinguish between fanfiction (to the point that they call it "fanfiction" in the first place) and what's "official."

Sure it is canon. Canon for that table.

And personally... Fanfiction is a weird term. Wicked is Fan Fiction. Dante's Divine Comedy is Fan Fiction. In one way of looking at it "fanfiction" is "fiction written by fans", but we also end up using it derisively for "lesser" works. Or maybe non-commercial works.

I've already mentioned that it's more than just wanting a "stamp of approval," but rather than it's the acknowledgment of the grounded nature of a developed area of imagination. That groundedness comes from how the entire thing is kept external to one's self, given form and definition beyond what you (in the general sense of "you") can change. Whatever alterations you make in terms of personal fiction, a home game, etc. don't change the nature of the canon. When the authority over that canon discards part of it, that aspect is lost; as a result, the de-canonized part no longer helps to inform you about the nature of the parts that are canon, and so lose that useful element.

To put it another way, I don't believe that there are "multiple" canons for a particular work, nor levels nor gradations of canon (though I'm aware that others have put forward such things in the past). There's only one canon, and things either are or are not part of it.

Okay, wait... that might be the key there.

I'm not advocating multiple canons for a single work. I'm advocating multiple canons for a universe/setting/ect. A different canon for each body of work.

And it really becomes a question here of what other term we should be using? I am aware of a fan-work derived very very loosely from another property. Not naming it because the setting is occasionally super-dark, like pitch-black dark at times. But I am aware that this "derived work" is loosely (and even canonically [it involved dimension hopping to get the ball rolling]) based on another property. I also know that it has a MASSIVE body of lore. Like, they have a world map with 34 nations, histories and religions for all those nations, hundreds of write-ups for the different types of powers and people.

What do I call that if not a canon? They certainly call it a canon, they have a community that is actively working together to consolidate that information and make it easier to access and fix the issues from the initial creation of it. If I can't call that a canon... what do I call it? What word do we have for a massive collection of lore, external to you, that you can't change about a setting, if it isn't canon?

Hussar

Legend
Every one of the stories you mentioned is in an alternate universe, or came from one. The original 616 universe is (more or less) still there. The original Peter Parker is, to my knowledge, still alive and kicking. None of what you described invalidated any of that. That's the difference, to me anyway.
But, the point is, the 616 universe is dead. It's frozen in time. It is not being used anymore. The original Peter Parker is frozen forever. That book is closed.

So, what is the difference? The new universes do not reference (although they obviously draw from) the original universe. They are not beholden in any way, shape or form to the original. Thus we get the Spiderverse. :D

Is it simply that "Official" stamp that's the stumbling block here?

Faolyn

(she/her)
So, why is this an issue with D&D? Every other long term property has done this exact same thing. Why shouldn't this be done for D&D?
I'm fine with them saying that things are only 5e canon if they're specifically brought into a 5e product. Because it doesn't matter at all to me what's canon and what isn't. I always take the cool stuff and ignore the rest.

Which is why I'm currently rewriting the Amber Temple in CoS into a Terg ziggurat which was buried underneath the Krezk abbey. And changing the completely random arcanaloth they put in the Amber Temple into Inajira, who actually has more interesting goals than just being a wandering monster.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Not other people, the publisher specifically. If there's a novel wherer Azoun dies or Tilverton gets blown up, the enjoyment relies on future products set at a later date picking up on this. If after Azoun's death at 1371 DR in a novel future supplements set in 1373 DR have him alive and well ruling Cormyr as if those events never happened, than the enjoyment of reading this novel is lessened if not gone (knowing prior that this would be the way it's done a certain quantity of people would have never read the novel to begin with).

Why, when it is so easy to know that the novel was a mirror universe to the game?

What if I've been running a game where Azoun is supposed to be an important NPC we time skip from 1370 DR to 1375? Do I tell the players that "the canon says he died, so all of that work building an alliance was for nothing, sorry."

I get this idea we've had that the world changes based on the events in the novels, but this has never been a good model for TTRPGs. Because it locks in the world and says "No matter what the players do, plan, or attempt, these events will happen" and that is anathema to the freedom of TTRPGs to have the story told by the community at the table.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm not exactly clamoring to keep the old novels or even the book canon, but I #%#%#^A# hate when a video game series expects me to read a novel between games to keep up with the story. Mass Effect 3 I'm looking at you. Goddamn Kai Leng shows up and everyone's acting like he's some kind of badass and I have no idea who the hell he is or why I should be quaking in my boots. Or Aria? I know she tells me in the second game "Don't #$%@# with Aria" but I never found out why the hell Shepherd should respect her. Gah! I need to head butt something now.

Seconded.

If I need to read book #1 to understand Book #2, that makes sense and I expect it. Heck, Book #1, then a spin-off book #1.5 and the Book #2 is perfectly fine.

If I need to read book #1, then play video game tie-in #3, then watch the TV series so I can understand what happens in Book #2.... that's gone too far.

MGibster

Legend
But, hang on. You just categorically stated that you wouldn't play in a non-canon Star Wars game. That it wasn't really a Star Wars game. But, because you happen not to like the canon of Dragonlance, it's okay to to start from scratch?
Like Shaft, I'm a complicated man and no one understands me except my woman. It's a long thread, but I've repeatedly said I have no objections to WotC declaring that anything produced before 2014 is no longer canon. And part of the reason why I have no objections is because I don't really care about canon in any D&D setting. A lot of times I can't even remember what was canon about my favorite setting because it's been so long since I've actually thumbed through the books.

I started participating in this discussion because there were a lot of people who seemed genuinely confused that anyone would be bothered by the loss of canonical status and I wanted to explain why some people are bothered by it. And I think people are bothered by it because they've formed an emotional attachment to the stories over the years. What I was hoping would happen is that some of you would say, "I didn't think about it that way. I have a better understanding of why some people are upset about the canonical status of older material even if I'm not bothered by it. Thank you for helping me better understand my fellow gamers, MGibster, please have this delicious dinosaur cupcake. It's not made by dinosaurs it just looks like one." And I brought up Star Wars as an example because it's a canon I actually care about.

How is this not exactly what people are talking about when they say enshrining canon is a problem? Basically, you're saying that if it's canon that you like, then it cannot be changed, it must be adhered to - you wouldn't even play in a Star Wars game that was non-canon. But, if it's canon you're not particularly enamoured with, then it's perfectly fine to change? So, the whole canon thing is essentially just a stand in for trying to justify your personal preference as some sort of objective value?
I've never said you or others can't change it. I would likely think it was a good idea for WotC to declare older material non-canon even if I liked it because I think it's the right decision for D&D moving forward. I might not like it when you change it but that's not the same as saying you can't change it. If you change the canon and everyone at the table is having a good time I'm going to give you a thumbs up and tell you, "You're doing it right."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads