• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC: Please do something about divine spells known bloat in 5e

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm loving 5e so far. I have my early release PHB and it is awesome.

I know that books of player's options are coming, even if they follow through in their plans to make fewer of them this time. And every (non 4e) edition has had a problem whereby druids and clerics just get outright stronger with every player book that contains spells. This is because those classes just automatically know all of the spells on their class lists.
That prettymuch says it, right there. 5e is not setting out to butcher sacred cows. Anything you might have had an issue with that was present in every prior edition of D&D (excepting 4e, of course) is prettymuch de rigeuer for 5e.

What you can do, as a DM, is house-rule in a limited 'spells known' for divine casters who currently lack it. In the 1e AD&D years, I actually gave each deity their own unique list of spells they granted their Clerics. You could do that by deity, for your campaign. You could also run your game 'core only' to keep spell lists from ever expanding.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads