WotC WotC President Chris Cocks is Hasbro’s New CEO

Hasbro has appointed WotC president Chris Cocks as it’s new CEO.

Hasbro has appointed WotC president Chris Cocks as it’s new CEO.

Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) today announced that its Board of Directors has appointed Chris Cocks as Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors, effective February 25, 2022. Mr. Cocks currently serves as President and Chief Operating Officer of Hasbro’s Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming division, a global leader in tabletop and digital gaming. He will succeed Interim CEO, Rich Stoddart, who was appointed following the October passing of Hasbro’s longtime CEO Brian Goldner. Mr. Stoddart, who has served as a Hasbro independent director since 2014, will become Chair of the Board, effective February 25, 2022.

DE646F6A-736F-47EB-96FE-D940E00FD598.jpeg

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Kind of the way Citizen Kane looks really hackneyed now; all its stylistic innovations became standard film grammar.

I think (and you probably know better) Planescape, together with White Wolf, started the 'edgy' trend, complete with literal spikes coming off random things.
I think Planescape was a relative latecomer to the "edgy" trend in RPGs. Planescape was first released in '94, and Vampire in '91. From what I recall Planescape also had some edgy around the edges, but a lot of whimsy too. One thing I think it shared with Vampire was being pretty high-concept (or pretentious, less charitably).

Wasn't it the original WotC CEO that said WotC would eventually take over Hasbro, and that D&D would be part of that? Am I remembering wrong?
No, I remember that too. As I recall Peter Adkison tells the story that part of the Hasbro acquisition pitch was that Hasbro intended to use the WotC execs as their own next generation of leadership. That didn't materialize, and Peter and other execs from WotC sold their shares and left the company in fairly short order.

I guess the time (and the massive sales data) is now right for Cocks to get what Adkison didn't.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
eOne, the third pillar of Hasbro, is a billion dollar company with LOTS of non-Hasbro stuff in its portfolio.

Conventional board games and collectibles (historical Hasbro) seems stable enough, but the WotC and eOne legs are growing.

darjr

I crit!
eOne, the third pillar of Hasbro, is a billion dollar company with LOTS of non-Hasbro stuff in its portfolio.

Conventional board games and collectibles (historical Hasbro) seems stable enough, but the WotC and eOne legs are growing.
Oh! That’s right! He’s also ceo of a company that owns eOne!

Staffan

Legend
No, I remember that too. As I recall Peter Adkison tells the story that part of the Hasbro acquisition pitch was that Hasbro intended to use the WotC execs as their own next generation of leadership. That didn't materialize, and Peter and other execs from WotC sold their shares and left the company in fairly short order.
The way I understand it, Adkison primarily left because Hasbro sold the electronic rights to all their games, including Wizards of the Coast properties, to Infogrames over his objections. Basically, that's when he realized he'd gone from big fish in small pond to small fish in big pond, and didn't particularly like that, so he left.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The way I understand it, Adkison primarily left because Hasbro sold the electronic rights to all their games, including Wizards of the Coast properties, to Infogrames over his objections. Basically, that's when he realized he'd gone from big fish in small pond to small fish in big pond, and didn't particularly like that, so he left.
I saw that in his wiki article, but I'm repeating the way I heard Adkison tell the story a few months ago.

It may well be that the sale of the electronic rights was the particular decision which made clear to him that he definitely wasn't on the Hasbro leadership track after all.

Staffan

Legend
I saw that in his wiki article, but I'm repeating the way I heard Adkison tell the story a few months ago.

It may well be that the sale of the electronic rights was the particular decision which made clear to him that he definitely wasn't on the Hasbro leadership track after all.
I remember reading it in an interview in Pyramid which I was at one time subscribed to. But it seems eminently possible that the Hasbro Interactive sale was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads