WotC WotC President Chris Cocks is Hasbro’s New CEO

Hasbro has appointed WotC president Chris Cocks as it’s new CEO.
Hasbro has appointed WotC president Chris Cocks as it’s new CEO.

Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) today announced that its Board of Directors has appointed Chris Cocks as Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors, effective February 25, 2022. Mr. Cocks currently serves as President and Chief Operating Officer of Hasbro’s Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming division, a global leader in tabletop and digital gaming. He will succeed Interim CEO, Rich Stoddart, who was appointed following the October passing of Hasbro’s longtime CEO Brian Goldner. Mr. Stoddart, who has served as a Hasbro independent director since 2014, will become Chair of the Board, effective February 25, 2022.

DE646F6A-736F-47EB-96FE-D940E00FD598.jpeg

Spelljammer's advantage is it has a concept space that would be very well received in the current headspace of fantasy gaming, a thing which was a curiosity when it originally appeared might bloom into something much more interesting today. Planescape has a different problem: a legacy of products which were amazingly exotic and innovative for their time, which informed much of gaming's visual and headspace afterward, thus reducing the impact of a revival considerably today if only because their exotic elements are now part of the common background in fantasy art and themes. As such....selling Planescape today would be harder to do since it looks like so much else (because all that other stuff was influenced to some degree by it); but Spelljammer has been lying low for a long time now, and the desire for really exotic, genre-bending settings is seriously on the rise now.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That's wild. Good for him. The question is will they move one of the heads from MtG or D&D to replace Cocks or bring someone in from outside. Most likely it'll be the head of whichever brand made the most money for the company. If it's D&D, that means Winninger.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don’t know what effect this may have on D&D, but I sure hope they can rescue GI Joe (the “brand” does seem to be taking a good turn here lately, not counting the Snake-Eyes flop). I need me a re-issued Cobra Rattler!
I mean, it's probably pretty good since the CEO of Hasbro is now someone who played D&D and Magic growing up. It's a new generation.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Spelljammer's advantage is it has a concept space that would be very well received in the current headspace of fantasy gaming, a thing which was a curiosity when it originally appeared might bloom into something much more interesting today. Planescape has a different problem: a legacy of products which were amazingly exotic and innovative for their time, which informed much of gaming's visual and headspace afterward, thus reducing the impact of a revival considerably today if only because their exotic elements are now part of the common background in fantasy art and themes. As such....selling Planescape today would be harder to do since it looks like so much else (because all that other stuff was influenced to some degree by it); but Spelljammer has been lying low for a long time now, and the desire for really exotic, genre-bending settings is seriously on the rise now.
I just think that D&D in Space is a super popular idea already, even amongst people that aren't familiar with Spelljammer.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads