D&D 5E WotC Survey about PHB spells!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
In case it helps to have hope for future groups, every sign I have observed online and in person indicates the power gamers are a very small minority.

I know I haven’t really had any at my table, including running D&D at The library for kids, and playing in AL.
Yea, I'm the only real power gamer out of like 20 people I play with; the rest pick goofy and weird stuff.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yea, I'm the only real power gamer out of like 20 people I play with; the rest pick goofy and weird stuff.
Yeah same. I don't even really power game, so much as use my understanding of the system to make weird builds work.

My Eberron game has a Vryloka (homebrew. pretty strong race with +str +cha) Vengeance Paladin, a Kobold Wizard, two Firbolg Bards (glamour Bard MC Nature Cleric, the other Blades Bard MC Hexblade Warlock), a Bugbear Swarmkeeper Ranger, and an NPC ally who is a Shadar-kai Cobalt Soul Monk/Inquisitive Rogue.

A couple of those builds are quite strong, while others are good but not in the top half of builds or anything.

Bolares

Hero
Yeah same. I don't even really power game, so much as use my understanding of the system to make weird builds work.

My Eberron game has a Vryloka (homebrew. pretty strong race with +str +cha) Vengeance Paladin, a Kobold Wizard, two Firbolg Bards (glamour Bard MC Nature Cleric, the other Blades Bard MC Hexblade Warlock), a Bugbear Swarmkeeper Ranger, and an NPC ally who is a Shadar-kai Cobalt Soul Monk/Inquisitive Rogue.

A couple of those builds are quite strong, while others are good but not in the top half of builds or anything.
I'm the only power gamer too, but the group caught on to me. Now they give me silly ideas and make me build their characters for them.

Fun fact: I'm the DM.

Sad Michael J Fox GIF

darjr

I crit!
I like to make weird choices too. I’m playing a rouge eladrin with fey touched and will soon get a few levels of wild sorc. I wanted to wild step and teleport a bunch a lot.

They were kicked out of the fey realm cause they got caught stealing from their own court, the queen of the fey. The wild bit is the queen’s revenge.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm the only power gamer too, but the group caught on to me. Now they give me silly ideas and make me build their characters for them.

Fun fact: I'm the DM.

Sad Michael J Fox GIF
lol yeah I usually give the group tips on how to make their concepts work smoothly without doing anything cheesy.

My best friend ran a Star Wars game a while back where I had an idea for a teenage orphan mechanic who lived in a scrap yard and had a mechanical arm. He pointed out that since she was a tech character (outlaw tech talents, I think? It's been a while since we played Star Wars, sadly), she could modify and upgrade her arm.

She ended up having a droidified arm with an astromech droid brain in it and a built in miniaturized blaster.

On the other hand, she had no training in computers or piloting and so she had to jack in her arm to pilot or slice computers, leaving her even more vulnerable than she would be otherwise, and he trusted me to not break the game with it.

Remove ads