D&D 5E WotC Takes Control of D&D Translations

WotC has just announced that it is taking direct control of French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions of its D&D books (which previously were licensed to third parties).

4383A8A3-E9A7-4FB7-B035-DAEF44E8B323.jpeg

They’ll also be looking for new printers outside the US and China, and pricing books more equally in non-US markets.

Localised social media accounts are being launched as well as localised pages on the D&D website.

The first products will be the Essentials Kit in September, along with the three core rulebooks.

The initial focus will be Europe and Latin America.

Last edited:

It is not about the number of non-English speakers but the number of non-English-speaker players who are willing to spend money. It happens with the online videogames.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
It is not about the number of non-English speakers but the number of non-English-speaker players who are willing to spend money. It happens with the online videogames.
And by Latin America they likely mean Argentina and Brazil. The only two countries with a big enough player base in the region.

Now I have got a new question, and not totally off-topic.

WotC is going to publish their books into another languanges.... and what about the game-live shows for no-English speakers? And the producers could suggest to use a new-brand setting, something like Exandria by Critical Role. Maybe WotC could start a new contest about new settings, like that winned by Eberron, but by Asian creators.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Now I have got a new question, and not totally off-topic.

WotC is going to publish their books into another languanges.... and what about the game-live shows for no-English speakers? And the producers could suggest to use a new-brand setting, something like Exandria by Critical Role. Maybe WotC could start a new contest about new settings, like that winned by Eberron, but by Asian creators.
Critical Role isn't by design, it was a happy coincidence. As for making game-live shows in other languages, feel free to start your own?

But WotC is producing game-live shows. Why not in another languages? But maybe these markets could have got different tastes. For example the Spanish fandom would rather some touchs of comedy, but without falling in the parody. Italian publishers have showed a special style. (Have you seen their crownfunded projects?). Frenchs could use their own popular folklore as source of inspiration, for example. Germans could add some more Grimm touch. Japanese market could have special peculiarities (for example former or aspirant idols roleplaying "maho-shojo"(magical girls). In China the screen would show a virtual scenery/tabletop most of the time. (Maybe I am wrong).

Not only the game-shows. New channels in youtube for the different languages, for example tutorials videos.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
IMHO when we think of "New edition of D&D" we should start thinking more along the lines of the a model Chaosium followed for CoC with their 1st to 6th editions: More of a gradual update and cleanup once the errata of a particular edition got to be too much for the player base, and not a wholesale system redesign that has been the WOTC norm until now.
The differences between Call of Cthulhu 1E-6E and 7E are wildly overblown. They’re not even as drastic as the differences between D&D 3.0 to 3.5. You multiply your stats by 5 as the baseline. That’s the main difference.

Last edited:

Uta-napishti

Adventurer
The game has to put it simply a different customer base as D&D. In Germany D&D has often the reputation as the gonzo beer and pretzel game that you play when you take a break from more deep and detailed TDE campaigns.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just noting you're advancing the same "but these products are so different" argument that every entrenched product makes vs simpler to use competitor. Note sure if pretzels keep you from telling a rich, detailed story -- probably depends on the amount of the beer that you drink with them :p

Mirtek

Hero
This seems highly positive for D&D, I mean we've had a lot of good news lately but a corporation deciding to take areas outside the English speaking world seriously is pretty much always a good sign for the relevant product. Also make it a lot easier to roll out a 6E if they don't have to ship it all from the US/China just sayin.
I am more reserved. Last time WotC did this they ended up killing all translated D&D for several years.

Mirtek

Hero
Posters from/in Germany, do you think this will pose a significant challenge to Das Schwarze Auge, or is that too entrenched as the fantasy RPG of choice to make a difference?
If I had to bet I would put my money on DSA. It's way too entrechned since decades. Somehow it just resonates with some primal german way of thinking I guess. I must say if I didn't hate the rules so badly, many of it's setting things (which are almost like an antithesis to what's usually asked for from a setting here on this board for example) do indeed appeal to me too.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases