Dragonlance WotC Teases Possible Dragonlance Video Game

WotC CEO Chris Cocks may have just teased a Dragonlance video game, amongst others. Talking to GamesIndustry.biz, he made reference to the over 100 D&D video games of the past, and indicated that 6 new D&D video games will be coming out in the next 5 years -- Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate 3 being the first two. Previous Dragonlance video games Dark Alliance centers around Drizzt Do-Urden...

WotC CEO Chris Cocks may have just teased a Dragonlance video game, amongst others. Talking to GamesIndustry.biz, he made reference to the over 100 D&D video games of the past, and indicated that 6 new D&D video games will be coming out in the next 5 years -- Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate 3 being the first two.

dlganes.jpg

Previous Dragonlance video games

Dark Alliance centers around Drizzt Do-Urden. BG3 is set around the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms. But he goes on to talk about others:

"In one game you might run a thieves guild and traverse the Thieves Highway of Waterdeep, in another you might marshal dragon hosts in the war-torn world of Krynn. In still another, you might explore the very origins of the D&D universe in real-time combat. The brand's richness is an enabler of tons of amazing game experiences so rather than a challenge, we see it as an amazing opportunity."

There have been several Dragonlance video games before. Cocks says that video games are "core to our brand blueprint and how we plan to expand our audience", pointing out that the video game market is an order of magnitude larger than the tabletop gaming market.

Read more at the link below.

Hussar

Legend
Dark Alliance is all my son can talk about since he saw the recent gameplay trailer, and suddenly he's asking me about D&D, that game he previously wanted nothing to do with because it's what "dad and his friends play," and he even was excited to discover that the characters have their own book adventures. So Dark Alliance is doing its job quite well, I think!

Remember: D&D is vast in the styles it covers. Dark Alliance is not about D&D the game, and barely about the Forgotten Realms, but it is totally about a kick ass drow ranger and his gang, and exploiting the "D&D aesthetic" albeit in an XTREME way that speaks to the youth quite nicely.
Bingo! Yes, this in spades.

Not every D&D branded video game has to be a computerized version of the RPG. That does such a disservice to the options available. As was mentioned, a Total War version set in Krynn would be AWESOME. Imagine a 7 Days to Die style builder game set in a D&D setting. Completely divorced from D&D the game, but, again, totally awesome. A D&D themed 4x game where you play as one of the early powers actually creating a D&D world. There are so many possibilities here.

I for one welcome our video game overlords.

Ixal

Hero
How so? I ask with the clarification that I have only seen the BGIII trailer (which looked pretty awesomely D&D with a thick coat of metal paint) ....but I don't know myself because I don't buy games in early development as a rule of thumb.
It doesn't follow the rules system all to closely and also, because of Larians Origin system the party is a bit more wacky and illustrious than a typical D&D group.
A daywalking vampire spawn, a shar cleric with memory loss, a magic item draining chosen of Mystra in danger of exploding, a Githyanki soldier, a warlock and (optionally) you.
And there is lots of Larian style combat meaning everyone is jumping around the place, etc.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads