Dragonlance WotC Teases Possible Dragonlance Video Game

WotC CEO Chris Cocks may have just teased a Dragonlance video game, amongst others. Talking to GamesIndustry.biz, he made reference to the over 100 D&D video games of the past, and indicated that 6 new D&D video games will be coming out in the next 5 years -- Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate 3 being the first two.

dlganes.jpg

Previous Dragonlance video games

Dark Alliance centers around Drizzt Do-Urden. BG3 is set around the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms. But he goes on to talk about others:

"In one game you might run a thieves guild and traverse the Thieves Highway of Waterdeep, in another you might marshal dragon hosts in the war-torn world of Krynn. In still another, you might explore the very origins of the D&D universe in real-time combat. The brand's richness is an enabler of tons of amazing game experiences so rather than a challenge, we see it as an amazing opportunity."

There have been several Dragonlance video games before. Cocks says that video games are "core to our brand blueprint and how we plan to expand our audience", pointing out that the video game market is an order of magnitude larger than the tabletop gaming market.

Read more at the link below.

Last edited:

Ah, the good old Gold Box games! Played them so often back in the early '90s, and even periodically dip back into them again now (I just re-played the four games of the "Pools" series last year, when there wasn't much else to do due to pandemic shut downs). Nothing like sweeping kobolds, getting off that perfect fireball, or grinding though the punishing final battle of Pools of Darkness with level 40 characters! The graphics are obviously hugely outdated, but they are still a blast to play if you can get past that.

By the way, they are still available for purchase and download from GOG:

Forgotten Realms Gold Box games (which are 75% off right now)
Dragonlance Gold Box games

I would also suggest getting the Gold Box Companion, which is an interface tool that makes a lot of really good quality-of-life add-ons to the game, like automapping, having access to the journal entries within game, character management, and so on. It also has a character editor, which will allow cheating from light (removing demihuman level limits, leveling outside of training halls - you know, the 1e/2e rules everyone hated), to extreme (insta-heals whenever, everyone with maxed out stats and +5 everything!). Also, for the first game, Pool of Radiance, it will allow things hadn't been implemented yet as they were for later games, such as memorized spell lists, the "Fix" command so you can cast healing spells more efficiently during rest, and, most importantly, implementing paladins and rangers so you can run the same group from the first game to the last in that series...

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
And the gold/silver box games were among the most accurate translations of the actual rules that have ever been done. In this case it was AD&D. The only other one that compares for accuracy is Temple of Elemental Evil (3.5). They are more accurate than Neverwinter Nights 1/2 (3.0/3.5), which were reasonably accurate themselves.
ToEE was a good game—it needed patching, but it was good. Solasta, which uses the 5e rules but isn't officially licenced, is quite accurate, too. I recomend it.

elZombie

Villager
Bingo! Yes, this in spades.

Not every D&D branded video game has to be a computerized version of the RPG. That does such a disservice to the options available. As was mentioned, a Total War version set in Krynn would be AWESOME. Imagine a 7 Days to Die style builder game set in a D&D setting. Completely divorced from D&D the game, but, again, totally awesome. A D&D themed 4x game where you play as one of the early powers actually creating a D&D world. There are so many possibilities here.

I for one welcome our video game overlords.
100%. Even the guys of Vampire the Masquerade, supposedly less combat-focused than D&D, are working on "a free-to-play supernatural battle royale" (closed alpha state). No reason to restrain D&D to only one style of videogame.

Last edited:

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I am surprised they haven't made a mobile RTS game like Rise of Civilizations or Clash of Kings. They are not overly complex and apparently are fantastically profitable. Total War: Dragonlance would be fantastic, but I assume GW and Warhammer would be nervous about market saturation.
I would love a D&D survival game like Conan Exiles or Ark set on Athas. The survival genre is a bit on the wane, however.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Unfortunately both those concepts seem extremely well-suited for dodgy mobile games. Hopefully not though.
Now, hear me out here....

D&D gacha game. Throw all of your favourites against each other. Have a squad of Tiamat, Dritz, Rastlinn and Deekin battling enemies. Collect your favourite characters in thematic outfits and experience the hell that is being a Fire Emblem fan, except with D&D so less ""This is a guy from a NES game" and more "Why the hell did we get Summer Fun Lolth before Shemeshka stop pandering to the waifu fans and give us the fan favourites"

this is both a terrible and great idea I feel

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I, for one, would love an exploration game such as Uncharted, Tomb Raider (new gen) or even Far Cry where you would play Drizzt, doing ranger stuff and finding relics in the realms.

Maybe an Assassin Creed take on Artemis in Waterdeep or, even better, a game of stealth and assassination where you play as Jarlaxle? Imagine Assassin Creed, but in Luskan (1st game), Menzo (2nd game) and Waterdeep + Neverwinter against Neverember (3rd game. Having to manage your disguise to avoid a drow panic, much like in VtM:Bloodline, would be pretty funny.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases