WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license. This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'. So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Yaarel

He Mage
Right - and so using an elf-like race/species will require quite a bit of creativity... none of which should even get close to the D&D-specific material. However, some of the specifics were drawn from other works and legends, and could be used... Even so, one must tread carefully, even in creating things out of whole-cloth that memory might fail to remind was rooted in something protected. Something every author must always consider anyway. Will be interesting to see the first infringement case based on this... and how finely each side will split hairs.
The concept and the name "elf" belong to the cultural heritages of Nordic and British nations, and to some degree elsewhere too.

Elf is public domain.

Yaarel

He Mage
Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Mage, Witch, etcetera are public domain.
Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Warrior, Knight, Skirmisher, Soldier, Champion, Scout, Martial Artist, Swordfighter, Fight Sport, Warrior Monk, Athlete, etcetera are public domain.
Cleric, Shaman, Priest, Acolyte, Mystic, Theist, Animist, Philosopher, Templar, etcetera, are public domain.
Druid, Bard, Skald, etcetera, are public domain.
Rogue, Thief, Ninja, etcetera are public domain.

It is all public domain.

Make your own versions of whatever you want, using whatever rules you want. Be mindful of the cultural heritages of other nations, and studiously avoid copy-pasting Hasbro-WotC products.

Everything − every "concept", every "rule" − in D&D already belongs to you now.

Stay away from the Hasbro-WotC CC license trap.

Last edited:

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
One thing I'm still confused about is the stripped down 5E SRD only in that reduced state in the CC or also in the 1.2 OGL. Because if it's the same why would anyone agree to the OGL?

I'm certain the morality clause is in there because of Star Frontiers: New Genesis. Sure it wasn't released. But just the threat of such a product tarnishing the D&D brand would scare the crap out of any suit.

THAT said, I agree with James Raggi on why it's a bad idea to have a morality clause:

"Star Frontiers" is a TRADEMARK. It is protect Property Identity.

The original OGL 1.0a itself prevents this kind of abuse of trademarks.

Another factor is probably the Spelljammer incident with the Hadozee controversy. Mind you, that's ALL on them. Someone wasn't doing their job.

Xyxox

Hero
I think this version of a new OGL is perfectly fine with any SRD beyond 5.1. I would never sign it, but they are perfectly within their rights to do that. 5.1 was released under OGL 1.0a and I do not buy them being capable of "de-authorizing" it. If they stay on that road, this definitely goes to court. 5.1 can be used under OGL 1.0a forever.

Remove ads

Remove ads