WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license. This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'. So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Yaarel

He Mage
It’s probably more important to separate what is yours from what is derived / original than before, but should be manageable.
In a "modification", there is a blending of the open source content and your own creative effort.

It cant be separated out.

Yaarel

He Mage
They can't own "gnome". They have a much better chance of owning "rock gnome that is highly intelligent, fairly resilient, have a life span of centuries, can see in darkness, is resistant to mental magic, knowledgeable about artifice, and is good at building clockwork devices"
Your point that the more distinctive a modification is, the more copyright protectable it becomes, is correct, of course.

I just want to look more closely at the public domain concept of a "gnome".

The term is an umbrella for multiple different cultural traditions.

"Rock gnome". The person who invented the word "gnomus", Paracelsus in the 1500s, used it as a name for an "earth" "elemental", a personality of the rock itself. So, a "rock gnome" is a tautology and public domain.

Afterward, many cultures used this Neo-Latin term "gnomus" whenever translating their own local traditions about "land spirits" and "sprites" into Latin as the language of scholars. So, "gnome" came mean many very different things, depending on context.

"Highly intelligent". Some traditions, such as leprechaun, portray the land being as a clever trickster. One also sees the connotation of intelligence in the popculture phrase of the "gnomes of Zurich", referring to international bankers and similar.

"Fairly resilient". Tough as a rock − as an earth elemental is.

"Life span of centuries". Many (most?) of these creatures of reallife folklore beings are immortal, such as capable of being injured but as a spirit incapable of dying, or other characterizations of immortality. The idea is, they exist as long as the rock or land exists. A long life span is public domain.

"Can see in darkness". In 1712, a definition of "gnome" is, "a dwarf-like earth-dwelling spirit". As a creature of the underground that lacks lanterns or torches, it is understood that gnomes can see in the dark, in some sense.

"Is resistant to mental magic". At the moment, I cant think of a reallife public domain tradition that refers to a gnome having mental resilience. But at the same time, for the same reason, mental resistance doesnt feel especially "gnomish" to me. If mental magic is what makes this gnome distinctive, it might make more sense to call it a "psionic gnome" rather than a "rock gnome". Then again, the Norwegian and Swedish gnome (nisse, tomte, etcetera) is psionic, being a "mindful" presence and influence.

"Knowledgeable about artifice". British gnomes, such as brownie, are industrious and make things, including shoe makers.

"Building clockwork devices". Gnomes can relate to mills that grind grain, and later machinery. Specifically a clock maker would be an example of such mechanical artifice.

Note, the popculture "garden gnome" appearance orginates as a Dutch tradition.

As you can see, the D&D gnome concept is a fairly straightforward import of public domain concepts about the "gnome".

In the case of the "gnome", it is easy to write up your own description of a gnome without any copyright issue. You might tweak it for good measure, such as highlighting its "earth elemental" traits or that it is a "faerie spirit" depending on which reallife tradition one leans into, or make it radically unique as your own recognizable modification. But pretty much any version of a D&D gnome that you reinvent is going to be safe.

mamba

Legend
In a "modification", there is a blending of the open source content and your own creative effort.

It cant be separated out.
Sure it can, there are pages, chapters, topics.

I agree that if e.g. you change the combat attack rules you will have to make your changes available because they are mixed in or derivative, but if you e.g. create your own races / classes / travel rules / ... then you can keep them completely as they are not derivative

If you are so worried that you even want to keep the parts you are changing, then start fresh, no one is stopping you.

sigfried

Adventurer
It looks like the lawyers took extra care to separate what parts of the SRD would make them lose a court case against the "you can't copyright game mechanics" and they just closed the rest of the SRD.
Yep. Mind you; I'm happy with that because it signals they are not going to go after people who are just using the mechanics themselves (folks like Evil Genius Games, who I write for). For us, that's a great signal that we won't have trouble from WOTC.

For the wider D&D community, it's still only a weak half-measure and still a huge step backward from the commitment WOTC upheld with the community for 23 years.

dave2008

Legend
For the wider D&D community, it's still only a weak half-measure and still a huge step backward from the commitment WOTC upheld with the community for 23 years.
Why do you say that? In the survey I listed 3 items that need to be corrected or removed. But other than that I feel it is a superior document than OGL 1.0(a). What do you feel steps backwards. It at least advances the OGL by making it irrevocable.*

I also think the should include share-a-like in the OGL instead of leaving it the Creator to share their work however they want. But I understand that as a reaction to people fearing WotC was trying to steal your work in the leaked drafts. This is one of the 3 items I asked for clarification/corrections on.

*with a correction to sections 6 & 7. ;) These are the two other areas I asked for corrections / removal

Horwath

Legend
I think they should compromise on that by keeping the morality clause but having it adjudicated by a panel made up of, say, three OGL stakeholders, only one of which would be WotC.
And conclusion would be by 2 votes?

Hmm, lets think which side has more leverage/resources for bribing the "neutral" party...

demoss

Explorer
It patches the hole in OGL 1.0a about not being irrevocable.

This is incorrect in my understanding.

The word is there, but the language as a whole includes ways for the license to be revoked at WotC's sole discretion - either universally, or for a single creator.

First, look at the part that actually talks about irrevocability:

"... irrevocable (meaning that content licensed under this license can never be withdrawn from the license) ..."

This clearly governs the licensed content, not the license itself. So no, they cannot say "ability scores are no longer licensed", but they CAN stop offering the license at any time, and they can void the already accepted licenses through a variety of means:

1. Morality clause allows individual severance at whim.

2. Claiming infringement allows termination without time allowed for cure. It is not clear to me there is an effective way to challenge claimed infringement.

3. The non-standard version of the severance clause in practise allows voiding the entire license. Not whim, but I'm pretty sure a high-powered lawyer will be able to find something unenforcable allowing Wizards to void the entire license.

4. There is explicit language in the contract saying that any explainers, headings, or footnotes have no meaning: clearly intended to allow them to misrepresent the contents in summaries, like saying "specifically includes the word irrevocable".

demoss

Explorer
Right, though the specific expression of certain features/abilities may not be... mileage will vary.
A crapton of the specific expression comes from Tolkien and other fiction that predates D&D, and is used by some mildly popular MMOs as well.

Claiming ownership of "fantasy elves" even with some specifics attached would be wrought.

Claiming ownership of a specific fantasy elf character or village would be trivial.

(I believe, IANAL.)

Last edited:

demoss

Explorer
I think they would be better off than getting mixed up in the mess that is the Creative Commons. CC was never designed for use with TTRPGs and as such should not be used, IMO. Great for documentation about open
CC has the massive advantage that it is a well known set of licenses. It should be easy to find competent legal advice on CC anywhere in the world.

Finding competent legal advice on 1.0a or another custom US agreement, especially if you live in a civil law country?

It seems that no-one for 23 years was able to find any, or alternatively Hasbro is now acting in bad faith...

Remove ads

Remove ads