WOTC undecided over OGL/GSL. Why you should care

Ydars

Explorer
Comments made yesterday by Mike Lescault indicate that WoTC are reviewing their whole stance towards Open Gaming.

"Who cares!" I hear you say.

Well YOU should care because if open gaming is scrapped it means three things;

1) the lunatics have taken over the asylum; corporates have taken over the creative direction of D&D 4E. Last time this happened, D&D almost died! Remember TSR.

2) All 3rd party publishers will HAVE to continue making products for 3.5E, creating even more competition for 4E, which could be VERY serious, despite what everyone thinks.

3) The above means that support for 4E will be MUCH reduced and will all follow WoTC's official line. Whilst their products are good, their vision of the 4E world is not to everyone's taste and more diversity from 3PPs will keep more of the old guard of D&D playing the game.

So WHAT can WE do.

I am calling on ALL gamers to boycott 4E until WoTC release a GSL that allows for substantial community/3rd party involvement. CANCEL your pre-orders of 4E and MAKE them think seriously before dropping GSL. I have already done so.

Also, REGISTER your support by adding a comment to this thread.

COME ON PEOPLE; WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE STAND TOGETHER!

Cadfan

First Post
You should, perhaps, link the comments that are making you become hysterical. Otherwise we have no way of judging whether you're making sense.

Ydars

Explorer
Sorry Cadfan; you are correct. The thread is hidden away in the industry forum section of this site. You can find the post here and reproduced below.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221163&page=5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Mike_Lescault
Hi All,

They dragged me, kicking and screaming, back from vacation and I wanted to follow up on this issue as promised. Obviously, Linae's a key person working on this stuff and her insight into the area will forever dwarf what little informaton and undestanding I can track down, but with that said, I have a quote from Liz Schuh, D&D Publishing Brand Director.

“We’re still vetting our final policy regarding open gaming. As soon as that process is complete, we’ll make an official announcement. Stay tuned for more information.”

I'll make sure additional informaton is passed on when I receive it, but for now this is the best we can do for a quote.

Thanks,
-Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the OGL was promised in January and since they are "still vetting their final policy regarding open gaming" now it is nearly April, this doesn't sound very hopeful to me.

I know I sound like I am panicking, but I just want to stir up some support before WoTC slip this by without anyone noticing. They only way they will reconsider is if they think it will cost them something.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I think we should wait until an announcement before we start over-analyzing what these comments mean.

WotC knows the value of open gaming.

Ydars

Explorer
Davemage; you could be right, but what if you are wrong? It will be too late once they announce their decision.

Andre

First Post
Ydars said:
Since the OGL was promised in January and since they are "still vetting their final policy regarding open gaming" now it is nearly April, this doesn't sound very hopeful to me.

I know I sound like I am panicking, but I just want to stir up some support before WoTC slip this by without anyone noticing. They only way they will reconsider is if they think it will cost them something.

Sorry, but you haven't convinced me.

What exactly is WOTC trying to "slip past" us? All the post says is that they are still reviewing the basic policy of the GSL. I agree that taking so long to do so is a failure on their part - WOTC reps committed to releasing it earlier this year and letting the date slip is frustrating to many. But nothing - nothing - in this post indicates that they have decided to abandon the GSL, gut it completely, or any such interpretation. It's always possible they would do so, but inferring such on such slim evidence strikes me as too great a leap.

Ydars

Explorer
So you don't think it is worrying that none of the 3 parties have seen the GSL yet despite it being 3 months after the official announcement of WoTC's plans.

For them to say that they are still vetting their policy suggests that there is some serious problem.

I am saying that maybe, WoTC are intending to stop open gaming and don't want to announce it until after the launch of 4E to avoid the negative publicity. This has been suggested by a number of others on the same thread I directed you to earlier.

Last edited:

Andre

First Post
Ydars said:
Davemage; you could be right, but what if you are wrong? It will be too late once they announce their decision.

Ydars, WOTC already knows the how much a vocal minority of their customers values the current OGL. If they make a decision on this that you object to, I expect them to do so realizing that a few gamers such as yourself may go elsewhere. Any decision a company makes has tradeoffs.

The idea that there are enough such gamers to noticeably impact 4E sales is not something I've seen backed up by any reliable data. If cancelling your pre-order works for you, that's ok - it's your money, your decision. But I'll judge whether or not to purchase the game on far more than just the GSL - and certainly not on the possiblity that one post, in one thread, might mean something I don't like.

Remove ads