WOTC undecided over OGL/GSL. Why you should care

Jack99

Adventurer
Ydars said:
Comments made yesterday by Mike Lescault indicate that WoTC are reviewing their whole stance towards Open Gaming.

That is a fairly big assumption.

And while I in no way support your proposed boycott, why on earth can't it wait until we hear something more. Pre-orders can be canceled up until the moment stuff is shipped, last I checked.

Ydars

Explorer
I am only asking that people consider not buying into 4E until after WoTC make an announcement about GSL.

I am not suggesting that others go and find another game system permanently, just because of GSL. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

dm4hire

Explorer
I'm wondering if their stance isn't a long the lines of:

Should we go with the GSL as planned, restricting what 3rd Party does in relation to D&D or should we just modify the OGL to include the new edition and make everything in 4e closed content beyond the core as we did with 3.x.

I think they are realizing they are causing a rift to form and are trying to decide if that rift will be beneficial or detrimental to them. How much of an impact will the GSL be to them if the majority of 3rd Party doesn't follow after them?

Ydars

Explorer
Jack99; if we wait until after WoTC have made an annoucement, what happens if this isn't until after the release of 4E? Once we have all bought in, those who oppose OGL with have already won because we can only hit them in their pockets.

HeinorNY

First Post
Ydars said:
Comments made yesterday by Mike Lescault indicate that WoTC are reviewing their whole stance towards Open Gaming.

"Who cares!" I hear you say.

Well YOU should care because if open gaming is scrapped it means three things;

1) the lunatics have taken over the asylum; corporates have taken over the creative direction of D&D 4E. Last time this happened, D&D almost died! Remember TSR.

2) All 3rd party publishers will HAVE to continue making products for 3.5E, creating even more competition for 4E, which could be VERY serious, despite what everyone thinks.

3) The above means that support for 4E will be MUCH reduced and will all follow WoTC's official line. Whilst their products are good, their vision of the 4E world is not to everyone's taste and more diversity from 3PPs will keep more of the old guard of D&D playing the game.

So WHAT can WE do.

I am calling on ALL gamers to boycott 4E until WoTC release a GSL that allows for substantial community/3rd party involvement. CANCEL your pre-orders of 4E and MAKE them think seriously before dropping GSL. I have already done so.

Also, REGISTER your support by adding a comment to this thread.

COME ON PEOPLE; WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE STAND TOGETHER!
I don't remember any 3rd party publisher producing WoD products, so I think we should boycott them too?
AFAIK White Wolf is the evil empire, not WoTC.

Ydars

Explorer
Ainatin, I am not talking about "evil empires", I am trying to give some impetus to that part of WoTC that supports open gaming. I believe that a clash of cultures may be taking place and I want to influence the decision, which is obviously taking place as we speak.

I don't play WW games, mostly because they don't support open gaming.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, I really don't know why you post.

Zamkaizer

First Post
Ydars said:
1) the lunatics have taken over the asylum; corporates have taken over the creative direction of D&D 4E. Last time this happened, D&D almost died! Remember TSR.
There is no, "last time"--D&D has never moved from an open system to closed system before in its history. And, under TSR, D&D did well enough as a closed system for most of its tenure.

xechnao

First Post
Ydars said:

"Who cares!" I hear you say.

Well YOU should care because if open gaming is scrapped it means three things;

2) All 3rd party publishers will HAVE to continue making products for 3.5E, creating even more competition for 4E, which could be VERY serious, despite what everyone thinks.

3) The above means that support for 4E will be MUCH reduced and will all follow WoTC's official line. Whilst their products are good, their vision of the 4E world is not to everyone's taste and more diversity from 3PPs will keep more of the old guard of D&D playing the game.

So WHAT can WE do.

I am calling on ALL gamers to boycott 4E until WoTC release a GSL that allows for substantial community/3rd party involvement. CANCEL your pre-orders of 4E and MAKE them think seriously before dropping GSL. I have already done so.

Also, REGISTER your support by adding a comment to this thread.

COME ON PEOPLE; WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE STAND TOGETHER!

For the prosperity of the rpg hobby, fans and publishers should become less fanatics for D&D and stronger followers of tabletop rpgs interests. I am not convinced that another round of OGL that at this point will mostly serve to reupdate old stuff for the sake of compatibility is a good idea. Wotc is making a new game and intends to support it. IMO there should be others doing the same. The hobby needs more games and more support of these new games.

HeinorNY

First Post
Ydars said:
Ainatin, I am not talking about "evil empires", I am trying to give some impetus to that part of WoTC that supports open gaming. I believe that a clash of cultures may be taking place and I want to influence the decision, which is obviously taking place as we speak.

I don't play WW games, mostly because they don't support open gaming.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, I really don't know why you post.
Why should WOTC give their rules for free to other companies, so they can profit with these rules, unless it somehow benefits WOTC business?
If open gaming does no good for WOTC business, why should they support it?

Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? Andy Collins had been optomistic for a decision soon. If this is true that they are reconsidering, I wonder how much of it is related to Paizo's decision regarding Pathfinder?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases