WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

Last edited by a moderator:

well, then include that in your feedback. Not providing any won’t change anything, just like not voting

I think you are way more optimistic about how feedback works. Even in playtests, not everything is up for debate. Given how they justify their changes through that (and how quickly some people here have been willing to adopt that justification) tells me that they are unlikely to change that and that this clause is part of the why they are doing it. I'll put in feedback, but I have no confidence that one of the absolutely necessary things that needs to change will.

because someone on the internet doesn't like them...

No, because they are assured by nothing but the word of a liar.

you mean that they accept what they are willing to accept... but you think that we are accepting anything, when we are happyish with it...

Again, no, I mean that they found people who will accept anything given that it stops the conflict, even if it doesn't actually materially change naything.

except I am not signing a contract... I can still switch to TORG, or Vampire or Savage World later... I am not 'locking myself in
I am saying "this is acceptable, but I reserve the right to find any future changes unacceptable.

Yeah, but that doesn't matter because you've given up your biggest bargaining chip by allowing them to deauthorize 1.0a.

what is there that assures them I will agree to any future changes?

Who cares if you agree, there is no more OGL 1.0a fallback. You've already conceded that in manufacturing consent for this rug pull.

no I have NOT... the defense is "I will take my business' elsewhere

I mean, I highly doubt that given how quick you've been to turn around on this whole thing.

wow...except like I said above, no contract, I can walk away anytime.
It's "Here is this deal"
"Okay sounds good"
if they change the deal I can say "Hey, that's not what I agreed to, and I am no longer interested"

This "deal" that you are "going along with" doesn't matter for you as much as it matters for 3PP. You're basically giving Wizards cover to destroy the OGL 1.0a and then set terms afterwards. Who cares if you say you'll away afterwards, they've already gotten what they want.

by finding a compromise they can live with and saying they will make some suggestion but this is good enough... sounds like how MOST deals are made.

Except that you don't have a deal, you have nothing. You seem to have problems grasping that everything here is completely under the whim of Wizards and if they don't want it, it's gone. Lando got better assurances in his deal with Vader than this.

I;m not taking there word, I am saying "this is okay, but if you change it I may not find it okay"

You are taking their word and I don't see how you can say any different. You've given them the absolute ability to blow it up at any given time; this is completely at their word. That you'll walk away means nothing given how quickly you were to come back in the first place.

no hope and dreams... just good old fashion self interest...

They don't "win" by changing... they win by finding the compromise and sticking to it.

No, the win by manufacturing enough consent by making people think they are compromising when they can unilaterally cancel the whole thing and set new terms after they get what they want. I didn't think that it'd be particularly easy, but conversations like this are really proving me wrong.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well again, the language is nebulous and includes "conduct." That presumably means anything from a 10-year old tweet that someone at WotC finds problematic to a tipsy remark at GenCon to...well, whatever WotC wants it to mean.

But yeah, if I'm Kobold--or any other publisher--I'd be very hesitant to sign on to that.
OTOH, if I'm Kobold Press, this provides everything needed to provide D&D content without agreeing to the license: they make the stuff that isn't in the Creative Commons section, so business can still run.

Again, no, I mean that they found people who will accept anything given that it stops the conflict, even if it doesn't actually materially change naything.
once again, they are the changes you don't care about....
Yeah, but that doesn't matter because you've given up your biggest bargaining chip by allowing them to deauthorize 1.0a.
that isn't MY biggest chip.... mine is our money.
Who cares if you agree, there is no more OGL 1.0a fallback. You've already conceded that in manufacturing consent for this rug pull.
don't care as long as we get open content to keep working... and this seems to be it. (and to be honest with the new ORC wont we just see things then)
I mean, I highly doubt that given how quick you've been to turn around on this whole thing.
great... so now your calling me a liar.
This "deal" that you are "going along with" doesn't matter for you as much as it matters for 3PP. You're basically giving Wizards cover to destroy the OGL 1.0a and then set terms afterwards. Who cares if you say you'll away afterwards, they've already gotten what they want.
do you not know how compromise work? They get something and we get something...
Except that you don't have a deal, you have nothing. You seem to have problems grasping that everything here is completely under the whim of Wizards and if they don't want it, it's gone. Lando got better assurances in his deal with Vader than this.
except Lando didn't have the leverage we do... they need us.
You are taking their word and I don't see how you can say any different.
I am taking that they want to make money, and they realize this was costing them money instead of making money.
You've given them the absolute ability to blow it up at any given time; this is completely at their word.
no it's at OUR spending.
That you'll walk away means nothing given how quickly you were to come back in the first place.
right cause I came back because they gave in. So if they don't give in I'm gone.
No, the win by manufacturing enough consent by making people think they are compromising when they can unilaterally cancel the whole thing and set new terms after they get what they want.
no you missunderstand what they want. They want money and power... the money comes from us the power comes from being talked and thought about... they don't "want" to screw people they just don't care if they do.

So they thought that doing all that other stuff would make them money... we as a group came together and showed it would COST them money instead... so now they are looking for the least they can give up and get us back. We each have to decided on our own when it is enough... we can disagree on what is enough.
I didn't think that it'd be particularly easy, but conversations like this are really proving me wrong.
It's only proving to me that you don't understand cause and effect. the cause of the draconian way they handled things had the effect of us all speaking out and effecting there money and power. They found what they would give back... that causes some of us to have the effect of saying "good enough"

You then think they can just go back to the original cause and not end up with the same effect.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
No, the win by manufacturing enough consent by making people think they are compromising when they can unilaterally cancel the whole thing and set new terms after they get what they want. I didn't think that it'd be particularly easy, but conversations like this are really proving me wrong.

I personally agree with everything you said in this post. My worry since all this began was that any attempt to resist any change to 1.0a would gradually turn into a bargaining game between "us" and "them" with it eventually reaching a point where the number of "us" thrown under the bus would be an impact that doesn't really affect the vast majority of "us". As someone who supports collective bargaining and solidarity against larger opponents trying to throw their weight around, it saddens me to see people decide that the current offer is anywhere near acceptable when it continues to impact 3PPs so harshly.

However, I also find it hard to blame a player for caring mostly about what will directly affect their table.
I find it does help to put the overall thing into context though. I notice on Twitter that by far the overwhelming number of comments are negative towards WotC's 1.2 draft, pointing at all of the glaring problems it has for 3PPs, and for VTT/other software tool manufacturers, and understand that this is not really about negotiation, it's about WotC's belief they can change the terms of a 20-year-old deal and telling them "no" until they understand that deal either supports everything we could do before, or we simply just walk away. If we're all using Project Black Flag, that takes away all their control, therefore it is better for them to accept that many changes in 1.2 will have to go or they'll have no control over us whatsoever, and will begin to see ORC-licensed works claiming compatibility with Dungeons and Dragons under fair use of that Trademark at an uncomfortable rate.
Therefore, their 1.2 "deal" needs to offer us enough to make it actually worth taking, where the things we get out of it over and above the ORC license outweigh the extra trouble it causes us (e.g. figuring out the abomination of a license appendix we're going to need when combining SRD content with 3PP OGC). I also do not want to lose track of the rights they are effectively stripping from VTTs and other media in all of this.

It's only proving to me that you don't understand cause and effect. the cause of the draconian way they handled things had the effect of us all speaking out and effecting there money and power. They found what they would give back... that causes some of us to have the effect of saying "good enough"

You then think they can just go back to the original cause and not end up with the same effect.
That's the definition of letting them divide and conquer. While I might not really care about them, I stand in solidarity with e.g. VTT creators. And they are getting a very bad deal right now, specifically. We all are, but WotC really, really wants to get an unfair and monopolistic advantage in that particular space going forward. You'd think their top brass were from Microsoft or something... Oh wait.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases