WotC: We Are Not Making AI Dungeon Masters

Adding to the recent spate of YouTube-based claims about WotC's plans for Dungeons & Dragons were some additional claims -- (a) that D&D Beyond would have $30 subscription fee; (b) that homebrew content would not be permitted on lower tiers; and (c) that DDB was actively working on AI Dungeon Masters. Some of this was based on a (long ago debunked) slide from a presentation last year. WotC...

Adding to the recent spate of YouTube-based claims about WotC's plans for Dungeons & Dragons were some additional claims -- (a) that D&D Beyond would have $30 subscription fee; (b) that homebrew content would not be permitted on lower tiers; and (c) that DDB was actively working on AI Dungeon Masters.

Some of this was based on a (long ago debunked) slide from a presentation last year.

WotC has made some clarifications:

Hey, everyone. We’ve seen misinformation popping up, and want to address it directly so we can dispel your concerns.

Rumors of a $30 subscription fee are false.

No one at Wizards is working on AI DMs. We love our human DMs too much. If you’re looking for a DM, we suggest heading to our Discord where DMs and parties are looking for players.

We have designers whose core job it is to compile, analyze, and then act upon your feedback. Your feedback has made the game better over the past decade, and your feedback is central to D&D’s future.

Homebrewing is core to D&D Beyond. It's not going away, and we're not going to charge you for it. Your homebrew is, and always will be, yours. We’ve always been excited to see your creations both on and off D&D Beyond!

There is still no clear statement regarding the Open Gaming License v1.0a, however.

Greggy C

Hero
What makes me laugh the most is that shouldn't wizards be good at telling a story?
Like, isn't writing stories their forte?

But no, they
  • first try to gaslight us,
  • then try a half-ass attempt to "connect with the audience" by telling the very short story of Kyle, who loves D&D.
  • Now they have given up, and its just 4 points, "hey you lying b***** we are not doing this, or this, or this".

Haplo781

Legend

Attachments

• tumblr_6364cc0d53ff18b64460642a825af8f8_7c7f686c_540.gif
    tumblr_6364cc0d53ff18b64460642a825af8f8_7c7f686c_540.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 54

Yaarel

He Mage
More on the record response here:

This tweet by Makenzie De Armas, who is a WotC designer, is worth a separate thread.

It mentions the UAs for Strixhaven as an example. It shows how a designer uses the feedback from UA surveys. The presentation of the survey includes "quantitative" approval ratings and "qualitative" things they "noticed" from the written comments. Things that get low approval get checked out.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Taking responsibility and walking back erroneous information? In the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty- three?

Well, the latter, at least. For the former, they may need to say something like, "Gee, we are sorry. We seem to have gotten erroneous information and, our bad, we didn't double check it before posting something that impugned the survey process' integrity."

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think that kind of seals it.

They wont budge on 1.0 OGL, they have their marching orders, and who cares if it spits in the face of creators and the industry at large.

Judge Dredd GIF
I mean, of course this “seals it” (it doesn’t), from the perspective of someone who is completely convinced that it’s a hard fact, anyway.
This man understands CorpSpeak.

In all fairness, I really don't think WotC cares about 3PP and the OSR movement. It is chump change. I really think this is about their business plan for a WoW-ification of D&D (VTTs, microtransactions, online only play, etc.). They want a virtual only D&D (no printing, no owning of books, no face-to-face paper and pencil play). They just don't know exactly how to wall off 1D&D from the rest of the OGL......
That’s never going to happen, couldn’t ever happen, and I doubt think even Chris Cocks thinks that it could.

But they will make a lot of money running a D&D-only platform that is the only platform where you can publish content for the newest version of the game, and if they wise up from the current pushback, they might even do something smart like using it as a platform to be the big tent under which other games reach their players digitally.

Like imagine one platform that combines dndbeyond, DMsGuild, and even stuff like some of what world anvil does, with subdivisions for other publishers to create and host their own play aides and 3pp marketplaces, all funneling 2% or whatever to wizards as the program host.

Instead we are going to have a rocky road ahead as a community, and end up more fractured than ever.

It’s laughable. They could have become the ongoing foundation of the TTRPG industry. They could have made themselves into the tide that raises all ships, instead of the biggest most ponderous ship, lashing out at all the other ships while verbally abusing thier own crew.
If 5.5e/6e/1D&D is too similar to 5e, then the OGL applies and they can't wall it off.
They can’t regardless, and we already know that they mean to build on 5e not make a new game, so…I think the (dumb) plan is more complicated than that.
Regarding that last point: I thought they already charged for sharing homebrew outside of your campaign group?
I have a (cancelled but active until later this year) master sun, and you're only charged to share it publicly, which is a major distinction. The “leak” indicated that they’d be charging for hosting homebrew at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads