D&D 5E WotC: Why Dark Sun Hasn't Been Revived

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era. I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
darksuntrouble-1414371970.jpg

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era.

I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to be true to the source material and also meet our ethical and inclusion standards... We know there’s love out there for it and god we would love to make those people happy, and also we gotta be responsible.

You can listen to the clip here.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
I think WotC should do a Request for Proposal (publicly or behind the scenes) for submissions how a writer/studio would approach Dark Sun with modern sensibilities. If they find the right partner, they license it (with approval rights) but not under the WotC banner (to avoid implicating their brand). Seems like a win-win to me.

Scribe

Legend
I think WotC should do a Request for Proposal (publicly or behind the scenes) for submissions how a writer/studio would approach Dark Sun with modern sensibilities. If they find the right partner, they license it (with approval rights) but not under the WotC banner (to avoid implicating their brand). Seems like a win-win to me.

If they dont have what it takes to stand behind it, why even get involved?

mamba

Legend
"We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to be true to the source material and also meet our ethical and inclusion standards."

What inclusion standards are not met, pretty much anyone can end up being enslaved ;) I guess that leaves the ethical standards...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What a weird stance. The slavers are the bad guys. You are supposed to stab them in the face. That feels almost shockingly non-controversial.

I have a hard time imagining what else about Dark Sun might be an issue.

As a setting about the perils and consequences of climate change, it feels extremely modern.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I’d rather they give someone else the opportunity than to allow the setting to languish. The interview is sad news but makes it clear Dark Sun isn’t coming from WotC. So why not give someone else the shot? I don’t care if it’s from WotC or not - I just want it to be good.
Because a licensed game will still reflect on them. If they genuinely don't believe anyone can handle the material in a way that won't hurt the company, they would be even less likely to license it out than develop it in house.

Folks who want Dark Sun should start looking at the non-WotC alternatives, of which there are at least a few. I seem to recall one on Kickstarter last year.

Scribe

Legend
Possibly the history of genocide by the still-alive perpetrators. (Yeah, they are all bad guys, except for the one in Kurn who is being better now)

Maybe the hinted at forced breeding?

I mean...its a dark place? I get it, it's just a sign of the times for Wizards, but its just another nail in the coffin in regards to how I view them, and I honestly thought I was out of nails lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads