D&D 5E WotC: Why Dark Sun Hasn't Been Revived

Status
Not open for further replies.
darksuntrouble-1414371970.jpg

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era.

I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to be true to the source material and also meet our ethical and inclusion standards... We know there’s love out there for it and god we would love to make those people happy, and also we gotta be responsible.

You can listen to the clip here.

Edit: I mentioned this earlier but want to reiterate: Dark Suns was a money loser for TSR. It got as many books as it did because TSR was basically surviving through a book publishing scheme that allowed them to kick the financial can down the road until it they eventually collapsed into bankruptcy with warehouses full of unsold books from Dark Suns and other settings. So we are not talking about reviving a successful sub-franchise.
True. The counter would be that the market then is not the market that exists now.

Yeah I'll add it to the backlog. Trying to finish some of my own writing, games that need playing, the hobby wheel keeps turning.

And 40K 10th is coming soon...

View attachment 279862

God, I've been off the 40K train for like 10 years now. Now that I have money, I want to collect me some Blood Angels. Though their new Dante should have damn well had wings. :mad:

But as far as comic books go, I think you can speed through it pretty quickly. Then again, I really speedread well when it comes to comics and manga. But I just recommend Gail Simone to anyone I can because she's great.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Saying it more doesn't make it true. Saying someone feeling unwelcome doesn't mean are saying they are being persecuted. It means they don't feel welcome. Persecution is something active, being made to feel unwelcome is not always as such. It can be a passive thing, which you clearly do not understand.
Someone saying that "one thousand people buying a game I don't like makes me feel unwelcome in the entire hobby" is very clearly them feeling persecuted, and your denying it doesn't make that false. It's self-evident to anyone that a hobby with tens of millions, all playing distinct games, mostly in isolated groups, means that no single group, much less a fraction of a percent, can be used to indict the entire hobby. Anyone who does so is therefore claiming persecution, which you clearly don't understand.
No, it'd be reductio ad absurdum, but I think your view was basically already that so forgive me for indulging a bit.

And again, very funny that the idea of minorities feeling uncomfortable is being pitched as them feeling persecuted. Meanwhile, you and others are complaining about things like shaming and shunning.
It's not reductio ad absurdum, though it is absurd, since there's no attempt to show how an opposing claim is absurd; first you get concern trolling wrong and now this. The statement in question was very clearly one of a sincere belief, and so can be indicted on its lack of merits. Meanwhile, you and others are complaining about other people claiming persecution while ignoring people who are actually claiming that.
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Yes, that doesn't mean I'm putting myself as sole arbiter of things. Holy crap, how can you misinterpret something so badly?! :oops:
Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

Except, as I quoted above, you very clearly did just that. lol! So are you claiming to have been in error, or are you just ceding the entire argument now? Because those are really your only choices at this point.
Again, "unwelcome" is not "persecuted". One can be passive, the other is always active. There's a difference that you don't want to acknowledge because it basically makes all this argument meaningless.
Again, saying that "one thousand people are paying for a CoC game" means "I'm not welcome in this hobby" is very clearly a statement of persecution. In fact, it's the most clear statement to that effect in this entire thread. That's a truism that you can't seem to acknowledge because it'd mean admitting that you're arguing against that which you claim to want to champion. So which is it?
No, because I'm talking about no one being shunned for liking Dark Sun, no one being kicked out for liking something. That's different than being made to feel unwelcome and not belong, because, again, one is active and the other does not need to be.
Again, distinction without a difference. If one thousand people out of a hobby of tens of millions are playing a single game (out of thousands or even tens of thousands), and that alone is enough to make someone feel that the entire hobby is unwelcome, you can't really say that's not persecution. But I have no doubt you'll continue to do so, despite how wrong that self-evidently is. :rolleyes:
I'm not misrepresenting their position.
Yes, you are. No one is saying that slavery isn't problematic; they're saying it's not problematic in the context of Dark Sun and certain other fantasy games. Stop acting like you're arguing against people who want to go back to plantations.
There you go! Easy as pie.
Kudos to you for admitting that you misrepresented them by not including the "in Dark Sun" part. You're making progress!
No s***, who said any differently?
That would be you. Here, I'll quote your post: "Instead of discussing slavery in Dark Suns they are talking about shunning and persecution of RPGers who don't agree with the idea that slavery is problematic."

And that's the mic-drop moment. You present the people who disagree with you as disagreeing with the idea that slavery is problematic, not only eschewing the RPG context but deliberately so. Talk about disingenuous!
You're so trapped in word games that you can't recognize that I already am talking in the context of the thread. What else would I be talking about, movies?
Except, of course, your own post proves that you were deliberately painting the people who disagreed with you as thinking that slavery [no mention of the context of an RPG] is problematic.
I didn't, but

cool-story-bro-2.jpg
You did, so just

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

At this point, I don't even know what you are even talking about. You're so concerned with trying to get me that you're basically making up points to try and tag me on. You should really leave it to the others.
Aaand we're back to you presenting your "points" as mine. I suppose that's not surprising, since it's all you can do. At this point, I'm just waiting for you to remember that you were "done" several posts ago. Or are you going to say how that's also a misrepresentation of what you "really" meant? lol!
I can't misrepresent my bad arguments as yours when those arguments are yours alone. (y)
Which of course is itself a misrepresentation, so at least you're consistent. ;)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
God, I've been off the 40K train for like 10 years now. Now that I have money, I want to collect me some Blood Angels. Though their new Dante should have damn well had wings. :mad:

But as far as comic books go, I think you can speed through it pretty quickly. Then again, I really speedread well when it comes to comics and manga. But I just recommend Gail Simone to anyone I can because she's great.
I wonder how you feel about 40K. Awful lot of problematic tropes there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases