D&D 5E WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
At least in Brazil, Hasbro seems to be moving away from licensing its games in favor of producing (and profiting) itself. For a long time, for instance, we had a local version of monopoly produced and sold by a Brazilian company, and now Hasbro makes and sells the game. We also know that it sells MtG in foreign language directly. Maybe we'll see a similar move in D&D.

Pulling a license and going to direct translation would seem to make the most sense.

Given our very limited evidence, that is.

Wolfskin

Explorer
It's worth noting that quality freelance translation services have become a lot cheaper on the last few years. Perhaps it's profitable for WotC to translate the books on their own after all.

Iosue

Legend
That's not what I said. WotC may have responded to their enquiries as to the status of translations with something currently non-commital. I can't read the kanji, so I don't know the exact translation of what it says, but my understanding is that WotC has not as yet finalized any translation plans and that that information is still forthcoming - not just for Japan, but for other countries also - and that the thread title of "WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT" seems pretty unlikely.
Yes, but I do read kanji, and what's more translated the entire notice in this very thread. My point is that your understanding and Hobby Japan's understanding are at odds, but I believe Hobby Japan's information is likely better, given their position and history with WotC, as well as similar corroborating reports from other countries.

I suspect WotC has something up their sleeve, and there will eventually be translations. But this is still a huge shake-up. WotC is breaking ties off with its overseas partners. For you guys who don't need translations, it may not seem a big deal. For us, timely release of good translations at affordable price affects whether we can get a game going. Here in Japan, we could assume that eventually HJ would release the core books. Now we don't know what to expect, and not in a good way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I suspect WotC has something up their sleeve, and there will eventually be translations.

Then you agree with me. I honestly don't know what you're arguing about. Unless you're still thinking I'm saying things I'm not. I'm not saying things I'm not. Honest! Sometimes you just have to accept that there's no argument to be had. :)

I'll try to be super duper super ultra super mega super clear: I think that "WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT" is an unlikely proposition at best. That's it. If that's what the Kanji says, it's likely wrong. If that's NOT what the Kanji says, then there's no debate here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My point is that your understanding and Hobby Japan's understanding are at odds, but I believe Hobby Japan's information is likely better, given their position and history with WotC, as well as similar corroborating reports from other countries.

I don't think what you are saying is really at odds with what Morrus is saying.

WotC does not, at this time, have a license for them. We agree upon this.

Morrus seems to be saying the reason for this is that WotC hasn't figured out their strategy for translations at this time. Is there anything in the article that says otherwise?

Iosue

Legend
Then you agree with me. I honestly don't know what you're arguing about. Unless you're still thinking I'm saying things I'm not. I'm not saying things I'm not. Honest! Sometimes you just have to accept that there's no argument to be had. :)

I'll try to be super duper super ultra super mega super clear: I think that "WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT" is an unlikely proposition at best. That's it. If that's what the Kanji says, it's likely wrong. If that's NOT what the Kanji says, then there's no debate here.

Here's the disagreement as I see it.

Hobby Japan: WotC has decided to only sell to the English-language market, and not license the translation rights.
Folks in Japan: Oh noes!
Folks on EW: Must be a misunderstanding. WotC said they were still working on their translation plans.
Me: Per this, it looks like they've worked on their translation plans, and decided to not do any!

So, is "WotC will not allow translation of D&D Next" true? From the perspective of one of their licensees saying, "They have decided to not release the translation license," yes it is true, as things stand now.

Do I think translation will eventually be made? Sure! I hope so! But that's pure speculation. What we have that's solid is a licensee saying, "We've been told they are not selling to foreign markets, and will not release a translation license." Which means, as far as Japanese D&D fans are concerned, the whole kit and kaboodle is up in the air. Dead in the water until further notice. There's no guarantee here.

I don't think what you are saying is really at odds with what Morrus is saying.

WotC does not, at this time, have a license for them. We agree upon this.

Morrus seems to be saying the reason for this is that WotC hasn't figured out their strategy for translations at this time. Is there anything in the article that says otherwise?
Yes, as I translated earlier in the thread:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Hobby Japan
AN IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT "D&D NEXT"
Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Dungeons & Dragons (D&D).

Since January of 2013, we have been engaging in promotional activities, primarily through "Table Game Channel", on the assumption of making the transtion from D&D 4th Edition to D&D Next. However, Wizards of the Coast, the publisher of D&D, has decided to sell only English versions of D&D Next, and not put out a license for translations. This applies not only to Japan, but all non-English language regions.
As a result, we cannot release a Japanese version of D&D Next.
We deeply apologize that we can meet the expectations of everyone who was looking forward to a Japanese version of D&D Next.

As a company, we will wait for an opportunity to do the translation, taking in account the possiblity that Wizards of the Coast may change their policy, but we must announce here that for the time being, there are no plans to publish Japanese versions of D&D Next merchandise.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank everyone who has supported the Japanese versions of D&D over the 10 years since the Japanese release of D&D 3rd Edition.

Eiji Nakabayashi
Game Development Department
Hobby Japan, Inc.

Per that, their strategy is to not commission translations, and not sell to foreign-language markets. Now, I may personally suspect and hope they have more inclusive long-term plans, but as far as Japanese D&D fans are concerned, that and 130 yen will get them a canned coffee. The Official Word to Japanese fans is "No 5e for you!"

That's unfortunate. I wonder why.
They obvious reason would be WotC wanting to translate themselves so they can claim all the profits for sales, but the D&D department seems pretty tiny and resource lacking, so I don't imagine being able to manage a project on that scale.

Blackwarder

Adventurer

How dare you?!?!?! This is the internet Sir! I suggest that you act accordingly! :p

Warder

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hobby Japan: WotC has decided to only sell to the English-language market, and not license the translation rights.

That's the problematic bit, right there. There's a connotation implied there.

There's an *active* decision - "We have specifically and explicitly decided against selling translations," and there's the passive, "We are not ready to licence for translation at this time."

What you give above makes it sound like the former, when it could also be the latter.

Remove ads