WotC_GregB talks about using a laptop at the game table.

Frostmarrow

First Post
The theme music idea sounds great. Only one GM in my group use music, yet that is mostly limited to repeat Morthond during Call-sessions. I'd like to hear more.

MaelStorm

First Post
I'm with Henry on this one. If I purchased a book, I don't want to pay an additional monthly fee to access it electronically. People who want a PDF copy of their purchase and can't download it to their computer through DDI will find other avenues less legal to have their way, so WotC is just pushing people to do illegal things.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
MaelStorm said:
I'm with Henry on this one. If I purchased a book, I don't want to pay an additional monthly fee to access it electronically. People who want a PDF copy of their purchase and can't download it to their computer through DDI will find other avenues less legal to have their way, so WotC is just pushing people to do illegal things.
While, perhaps, pulling the SRD, which has turned out to be one of the best game aids, I've ever used. Even if it wasn't intended to be one. But it set a high bar.

And not everybody even wants full DDI, I, for one, can do jack with the game table, because nobody else I usually like to play with over distance would pay for it.

Cheers, LT.

EATherrian

First Post
The one rule I will never bend on is 'No laptops at the game table.' I will never bend on it either. I don't need it as a DM, and as a player I find it too seductive. Others mileage may vary, but that's one thing I can't stand.

malraux

First Post
MaelStorm said:
Does anybody know what are the price plan for DDI?

Is there one plan just for accessing the archive and nothing else?
Last I heard it was $15/month if you paid for 1 month, $10/month if you bought a year's worth. I think there was also an intermediate pricing tier for a 3 or 4 month block as well.

ForumFerret

Explorer
it was my understanding that the 'only the books you own' in the rules database had been scrapped in favor of the 'get everything as long as you're a subscriber' and that the e-copy of your book for a small nominal fee was still in the works?

Eech, guess I better go do some more research. I loved the idea of 1st party electronic versions of the books I bought. I -will- get ebooks of all the D&D stuff I own - I'd rather WOTC gave me a legal and reasonably priced option to do so, so that I can just carry my laptop to the game instead of a 40lb backpack full of books and note pads.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I am excited about the possibility of getting the 4E books in electronic format, but I hope WotC realizes that you can't always have access to the Internet, so we need them off line as well.

For me, the best use of electronic books is to get the stuff I want but won't buy a book over, like the SpellMage. I'm sure my players will want to play one (heck, I'd like to!) but I have no interest in the Forgotten Realms, so a cheaper electronic version of the book would be perfect for me. That way WotC will at least get some money out of me for the book.

--Steve

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Interesting piece. I don't think I'll end up ever using a laptop at the gaming table, though. Computers are great for game preparation, but when it comes time to play I much prefer having paper handouts and maps.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I use a computer to manage the 8 gigs of music we use during our session and turn the screen away, hiding the entire thing but have the surround sound speakers mounted throughout our gaming room. I use iTunes to manage track names (as I assigned "themes" to specific locales) and use Atmosphere Deluxe in order to generate natural atmosphere for day, night, summer, winter, hot summer day, thunderstorms, etc... (go and buy it NOW). :)

As for the PDF idea, I agree - dump it. It only encourages piracy anyhow. Having a searchable database available for DDI users and/or book purchasers with unlock codes tied to the Gleemax log-in credentials. However, I'd love to see a version made for the Amazon Kindle.

Remove ads