WotC WotC'S May Community Update Talks School Support, Accessibilty, & Creator Marketplaces

Also convention attendance and pre-alpha tests of the Virtual Tabletop
placeholder.jpg

The Community Update page on D&D Beyond has a new entry which briefly covers topics such as ongoing support for schools and clubs, accessibilty of D&D Beyond for players with disabilities, early plans for the third-party creator marketplace, plans for convention attendance, and the upcoming Virtual Tabletop.

It's mainly a (very brief) recap of things which came out of the recent D&D Creator Summit (see D&D Creator Summit--VTT & One D&D, D&D Creator Summit--'D&D Beyond And Beyond', D&D Creator Summit -- Morning Sessions) but the key points include:
  • One D&D reiterated again as being 5th edition, not a new edition. This is something WotC is repeating frequently, and is a message they are clearly very keen to get across.
  • School and club support includes teaching kits, afterschool club kits, and free access to D&D Beyond resources for educators.
  • Plans to connect with accessibility experts to ensure D&D Beyond is a tool that everybody can use.
  • Migration to D&D Beyond as the 'front door' of D&D.
  • Intention to eventually create a third party marketplace, but this is a long way in the future.
  • A new creator summit at Gen Con in August.
  • Pre-alpha tests of the VTT with small groups.

Clint_L

Hero
The 3rd party marketplace on DDB remains a huge potential game changer, not just for WotC but even more so for a lot of 3PP.

There is potential there for 3PP to make a lot of money...if they can get their materials on DDB. But there is also the potential for it to create a real have/have-nots economy, with all the control going to WotC. The more DDB integrates with D&D, the more getting your stuff on DDB will become a necessity.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The 3rd party marketplace on DDB remains a huge potential game changer, not just for WotC but even more so for a lot of 3PP.

There is potential there for 3PP to make a lot of money...if they can get their materials on DDB. But there is also the potential for it to create a real have/have-nots economy, with all the control going to WotC. The more DDB integrates with D&D, the more getting your stuff on DDB will become a necessity.
I don't know.....there will always be an appetite for PDFs , but I agree, it will become a HUGE opportunity for both 3pp and wotc

Sometimes not expressing that anger when given the opportunity can feel like forgiveness.
And when you knock on every neighbor's door to complain about the city's garbage collection, and then you do it every day for three months and don't stop. That's not healthy, or respectful of your neighbors.
This is an emotional situation for many people, so it should be expected that folks will react emotionally.
And maybe professional help would be more appropriate way to address this issue from months ago instead of an online forum.

It just gets old that every single thread that talks about WOTC and a fair number that are just talking about something game related get dumped on almost immediately.

It's boring when the complaints are the same litany that we hear on repeat that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

I'm not saying you can't post. I'm assuming you're not telling me that I can't say that the same unoriginal complaints get old, right?

Add something related to the topic? Positive or negative like the issues with DDB that I chimed in on? Go for it, at least it's related. Post for the umpteenth time the poor horse that's been beaten to death? :yawn:
Not entirely sure why you quoted my post that should have been an obvious joke. At least I hope Crawford or Perkins physically assaulting people is a joke. :unsure:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I lived through both. Not a blind fanboy, but I have a lot more respect for WotC (ogl gaffe excepted) than I did TSR.

Here's hoping that comitting experts to improve DDB doesn't mean they are just starting.
Like others, I "hope" they have been working behind the scenes on its infrastructure.

I want then to eventually open up to custom classes, but I really don't think it will ever happen.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I just want to fast forward to the juicy Book of Many Things reveals.
Whelp, we have four books coming un two Quarters, Bogby and Phandelver in Q3 then Planescape and Deck of Many Things in Q4.

Phandelver, based on strong precedent over 9 years us probably coming in September, giving Bigby a July-August window, like Radiant Citadel and Spelljammer last year.

Planescape seems to be coming before the Deck of Many Things, so October or November for Planescape followed by November or December for Many Things.

We'll probsvly start seeing a ramp up for all 4 by the end of Summer, with a focus the month or two beforehand for each.

Remove ads

Remove ads