WotC's Nathan Stewart: "Story, Story, Story"; and IS D&D a Tabletop Game?

Forbes spoke to WotC's Brand Director & Executive Producer for Dungeons & Dragons, who talked about the 5th Edition launch and his vision for D&D's future. The interview is fairly interesting - it confirms or repeats some information we already know, and also delves a little into the topic of D&D as a wider brand, rather than as a tabletop roleplaying game.

Forbes spoke to WotC's Brand Director & Executive Producer for Dungeons & Dragons, who talked about the 5th Edition launch and his vision for D&D's future. The interview is fairly interesting - it confirms or repeats some information we already know, and also delves a little into the topic of D&D as a wider brand, rather than as a tabletop roleplaying game.

In the interview, he reiterates previous statements that this is the biggest D&D launch ever, in terms of both money and units sold.

[lq]We are story, story, story. The story drives everything.[/lq]

He repeats WoTC's emphasis on storylines, confirming the 1-2 stories per year philosphy. "We are story, story, story. The story drives everything. The need for new rules, the new races, new classes is just based on what’s going to really make this adventure, this story, this kind kind of theme happen." He goes on to say that "We’re not interested in putting out more books for books’ sake... there’s zero plans for a Player’s Handbook 2 any time on the horizon."

As for settings, he confirms that "we’re going to stay in the Forgotten Realms for the foreseeable future." That'll disappoint some folks, I'm sure, but it is their biggest setting, commercially.

Stewart is not "a hundred percent comfortable" with the status of digital tools because he felt like "we took a great step backwards."

[lq]Dungeons and Dragons stopped being a tabletop game years or decades ago. [/lq]

His thoughts on D&D's identity are interesting, too. He mentions that "Dungeons and Dragons stopped being a tabletop game years or decades ago". I'm not sure what that means. His view for the future of the brand includes video games, movies, action figures, and more: "This is no secret for anyone here, but the big thing I want to see is just a triple-A RPG video game. I want to see Baldur’s Gate 3, I want to see a huge open-world RPG. I would love movies about Dungeons and Dragons, or better yet, serialized entertainment where we’re doing seasons of D&D stories and things like Forgotten Realms action figures… of course I’d love that, I’m the biggest geek there is. But at the end of the day, the game’s what we’re missing in the portfolio."

You can read the full interview here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I count 122 pages of UA material released so far, so a bit more than 50 pages.

Interesting, but I was referring to new class info exclusively: does your reckoning account for redundancies like the SCAG material or multiple iterations of the new Ranger?

At any rate, they could throw everything they've tested so far in one book, and be just 30-50% of the way done...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Interesting, but I was referring to new class info exclusively: does your reckoning account for redundancies like the SCAG material or multiple iterations of the new Ranger?
Nope, I just counted all the articles released so far. Eliminating the first version of the ranger (there have only been two in UA, right?) reduces the total by only four pages. I'm not familiar with the contents of SCAG, so I don't know which of the early UAs it makes redundant.

At any rate, they could throw everything they've tested so far in one book, and be just 30-50% of the way done...
Add some illustrations and maybe even a bit more than that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope, I just counted all the articles released so far. Eliminating the first version of the ranger (there have only been two in UA, right?) reduces the total by only four pages. I'm not familiar with the contents of SCAG, so I don't know which of the early UAs it makes redundant.

Add some illustrations and maybe even a bit more than that.

Yeah, art is a wildcard. SCAG accounts for several more pages, at least, and there are articles that [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] has made clear were tossed in the dump heap (spelless Ranger variant, mass combat system which he is completely redoing from scratch, prestige classes in general). Also, the Rune material made it into Sky Kings Thunder, though I reckon that was partially a dry run for the Artificer class.

Brandegoris

First Post
I like what I'm reading, with one caveat: There does need to be a psionics product, if only for the support of previous edition campaign conversions. But yeah, I agree that splat needs to have purpose. 75% of all the prestige classes in 3.x were gimmicky, silly, and contrived. There were a few gems, but these were highly thematic and probably best belonged in a campaign book or adventure path.

I never did like Psionics. it just seems redundant? I mean we have spell asters so WHY Psionics. It just seems to re-tred it all. I just find them unnecessary

I do think 5th Edition is way more STORY focused. You can see it in the way the streamlined and Simplified the system. I like it quite a bit

Remove ads

Remove ads