WotC's Nathan Stewart: "Story, Story, Story"; and IS D&D a Tabletop Game?

Forbes spoke to WotC's Brand Director & Executive Producer for Dungeons & Dragons, who talked about the 5th Edition launch and his vision for D&D's future. The interview is fairly interesting - it confirms or repeats some information we already know, and also delves a little into the topic of D&D as a wider brand, rather than as a tabletop roleplaying game.

Forbes spoke to WotC's Brand Director & Executive Producer for Dungeons & Dragons, who talked about the 5th Edition launch and his vision for D&D's future. The interview is fairly interesting - it confirms or repeats some information we already know, and also delves a little into the topic of D&D as a wider brand, rather than as a tabletop roleplaying game.

In the interview, he reiterates previous statements that this is the biggest D&D launch ever, in terms of both money and units sold.

[lq]We are story, story, story. The story drives everything.[/lq]

He repeats WoTC's emphasis on storylines, confirming the 1-2 stories per year philosphy. "We are story, story, story. The story drives everything. The need for new rules, the new races, new classes is just based on what’s going to really make this adventure, this story, this kind kind of theme happen." He goes on to say that "We’re not interested in putting out more books for books’ sake... there’s zero plans for a Player’s Handbook 2 any time on the horizon."

As for settings, he confirms that "we’re going to stay in the Forgotten Realms for the foreseeable future." That'll disappoint some folks, I'm sure, but it is their biggest setting, commercially.

Stewart is not "a hundred percent comfortable" with the status of digital tools because he felt like "we took a great step backwards."

[lq]Dungeons and Dragons stopped being a tabletop game years or decades ago. [/lq]

His thoughts on D&D's identity are interesting, too. He mentions that "Dungeons and Dragons stopped being a tabletop game years or decades ago". I'm not sure what that means. His view for the future of the brand includes video games, movies, action figures, and more: "This is no secret for anyone here, but the big thing I want to see is just a triple-A RPG video game. I want to see Baldur’s Gate 3, I want to see a huge open-world RPG. I would love movies about Dungeons and Dragons, or better yet, serialized entertainment where we’re doing seasons of D&D stories and things like Forgotten Realms action figures… of course I’d love that, I’m the biggest geek there is. But at the end of the day, the game’s what we’re missing in the portfolio."

You can read the full interview here.

Imaro

Legend
I do have to wonder, if DDI was such an easy money maker for WotC, with millions basically just pouring in, why turn the spicket off?

I asked this question earlier in the thread and never got a response. I also wonder what the start up costs & operating costs were for DDI (and whether the failure of Gleemax was included in that) as well as how much money was lost through it's cannibalizing of book sales... I think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] (and many other 4e fans who have used DDI numbers as proof of "success") is painting an overly simplistic picture.

Imaro

Legend
You are wrong. They are not shutting it down.

Okay technically they aren't continuing DDI for 5e... I think the main point remains though... if this was such a gushing fire hose of money why not continue it moving forward with 5e?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's 4e only, and apparently a decent number of 4e players want to keep it for the tools.

As far as I know it's not being converted to use with 5e, and that makes sense as it's not really a tool well-suited to a 5e style of rules and gaming.

But yeah, it's not being shut down as far as I know, and still seeing revenue from 4e players who like the tools and think they are worth keeping their subscriptions for those tools.

Galladrick

First Post
Can I please get a setting guide (like the old FRCS) to create my own adventures? That book was and is a friggan gold standard, in my opinion, for containing adventure seeds and flavor, and magic monsters etc. A new Forgotten Realms Camp. Setting Guide PLEASE!

pemerton

Legend
I really have no idea what the profit of DDI was.

But I understand, correct me if I am wrong, that they are shutting it down for 5e.

I do have to wonder, if DDI was such an easy money maker for WotC, with millions basically just pouring in, why turn the spicket off?
This has mostly been answered.

DDI is still available as a subscription service. The current number of subscribers is unknown, but I think the best guess would be more than ten thousand but fewer than fifty thousand.

Why not develop it for 5e? [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] gave some reasons. My thoughts would be (i) that WotC doesn't want to foot the development costs, and (ii) has decided that outsourcing/licensing is the way to go (see eg Fantasy Grounds).

I also wonder what the start up costs & operating costs were for DDI
The operating costs involve server and software maintenance. I would assume that is in the neighbourhood of $100,000 a year (a bit of salary, a bit of machinery), but maybe I'm underestimating. Computing is not my field.

Whatever the startup costs were - and I personally have no idea, but would assume more than $1 million but fewer than $10 million - they were well and truly sunk by 2012.

I've indicated my back-of-the-envelope estimate for DDI revenues over the time of 5e's development. The startup costs don't affect those, do they?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Can I please get a setting guide (like the old FRCS) to create my own adventures? That book was and is a friggan gold standard, in my opinion, for containing adventure seeds and flavor, and magic monsters etc. A new Forgotten Realms Camp. Setting Guide PLEASE!

Maybe. Eventually. When WotC decides it's both artistically and financially viable to do. Until then, keep using your FRCS for adventure seeds and flavor, because they are worthwhile regardless of the edition of the game mechanics.

aramis erak

Legend
I think you misunderstand the word 'failure'. If not being #1 is failing, then there are 7 billion failures in this world. You included! This website isn't a failure because Google is bigger than it.

Two games can succeed. Ten games can. Heck, if the market supports it, a thousand games can.

Failure depends upon the criteria imposed...

When corporate explicitly expects being #1, and you come in #2, you have still failed, even if you make money, because the board is going to see the VP saying the team failed to meet expectations.

HasBro expected D&D to remain #1 in the market. It failed to do so.

Not a bad game. Not a total failure as a game (as the psychotic support for it shows), but it was a failure from the corporate view.

Remove ads

Remove ads