• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would/do you continue to buy RPG books even when you have no one to play with?

Tharian

First Post
Absolutely I would continue to buy them.

As it is, it took about 4 months to go from one session to the next in my "regular" campaign yet I just recently sponsored the Kickstarters for Time Watch and Project: Dark as well as purchases in stores that aren't part of our current system.

They are great inspiration even if they make me long to play more often and regularly.

scourger

Explorer
Yes, but I am trying to curtail future purchases. I like getting books, reading them, and using them in play. Just owning them to no other purpose I actually don't like.

delericho

Legend
I've cut down on my RPG purchases a great deal of late - my only regular purchase is my Pathfinder AP subscription. I've never actually played PF (nor really likely to - the adventures don't fit very well with our gaming schedule), but still get the APs. They're interesting enough, and cheap enough, that I don't need to worry about the cost.

But, that excepted, I took the position a while back that I wouldn't buy a new game unless I actively intended to run it, and that I wouldn't buy supplements for a game unless I intended to run a full campaign using the system. There are exceptions, of course, but those are few and far between. (And since the only campaigns I've run lately have been D&D 3.5e and SWSE, that's rather limited my purchases. :) )

2014 does look to be quite an exceptional year in that regard - I've already pre-ordered the new Firefly RPG and the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary book, and am strongly considering both N.E.W. and O.L.D. Plus, of course, there's 5e coming out, which I'll almost certainly purchase (at least the core).

In addition to mostly enjoying reading these things in their own right, and a possible desire to support the manufacturers/my FLGS/gaming in general, I have one other argument for buying games as they appear:

I'm the sort of person that if I find myself running a game extensively will generally want to pick up the full line. This isn't so true of D&D (any edition) because there's just so much, but games like "Serenity" or SWSE (also Eberron) I've made sure to get the full line. But doing so all at once is pretty expensive, where it's easier to set aside money for one book a month. Also, most RPG books only ever get a single printing, and sometimes quite small print runs. So books can and do become unavailable - and although the likes of eBay mean pretty much anything is always available, the cost can become prohibitive (both the "Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide" and the D&D "Rules Cyclopedia" cost me a fairly hefty amount to acquire). So, if I have reason to believe I'll be running a particular game extensively, I'll generally pick up all the books as they appear, even if I don't have a group lined up at that exact time.

(And, since I clearly haven't meandered enough, one more reason my purchases have dropped off: I have two sets of shelves dedicated to RPGs. These are now full, and more than full. So buying more games presents a logistical problem - I don't have anywhere to put them!)

Deepfire

First Post
Hell, yes!

Though I play twice a week in my several campaigns, I still have a LOT more RPGs than I will ever be able to play - no matter how old I am going to be. But still I buy new ones, a lot old ones, finish my collections, love it to search old books for ideas or new ones for newer ideas ... and and and. Great hobby - never stop!

oxybe

Explorer
haven't bought a book in a loooooong time.

partially because nearing the end of 3rd ed's lifecycle (pre-4th ed development rumors) i came to a realization that i have a lot of material right now and i'm simply not playing any of it... it's becoming a waste of shelf space, a waste of money and needless boxes to lug around whenever moving is required.

once 4th ed came around i was far more judicious in my purchases, only buying what sourcebooks REALLY caught my eye.

but that was a few years ago.

as of late, i haven't even played a session in months since my main group decided to stick 100% to pathfinder, i stopped purchasing 4th ed supplements entirely (why buy books that won't see use?) and since i don't actually like pathfinder, no purchases were made on that front (why support a game i don't like and don't intend to play?). as for not-D&D books, well... good luck getting anything that isn't some form of D&D off the ground in my area. hell, anything that isn't pathfinder is pretty much just a pipe dream.

i'm sure there are new things coming out that are likely quite interesting, but the local scene has killed my interest in TTRPGs.

dm4hire

Explorer
Way more often than I should. I just spent about 200 within the last month on stuff I will probably never play. A few will pay off if I decide to sell them later (looking at you 50th Ann. Dr Who book), but most will be read, sit on a shelf, and if ever sold will be at a loss.

ST

First Post
This was the publishing model of most of the 90s, especially for White Wolf.

Obviously nobody needed multiple splatbooks per month, but they sure did sell.

GreyLord

Legend
Even if you had no one to play the game with, why not try to create solo adventures, or play solo dungeons?

If there were LITERALLY no one to play the game with, I think I'd do that.

However, it's relatively easy to find others like you, or even family members, and recruit them to play. That is, if you really want to play.

I do much better if I'm DM and the players are people that I've recruited, as I can then be picky with who I play with (so no gameshop guy who wants to powergame, min/max, and cheat all at the same time).

Have you tried that?

Just a thought if you want to try some of those books that you bought but have not used.

oxybe

Explorer
honestly speaking, i'm enjoying my time away from TTRPGs.

after a decade (give or take a few years) of playing almost exclusively 3rd ed and it's ilk i've burnt out. the local popular game is just no longer any fun and setting up another group just isn't in my future, especially since i'm not too keen on GMing. i'm sure i'll want to play again sometimes and i'll look at my options when i approach that hurdle, but for now i'll make due with anime, videogames and DrWho.

pogre

Legend
If I think enough of a system to buy a book I will run it. There have been a couple of exceptions, but I pretty much only buy rules I am going to use in the "nearish" future.

Miniatures, on the other hand...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads