D&D General Would It Matter To You if D&D Books Were Illustrated by AI Instead of Humans?

Would It Matter To You if D&D Books Were Illustrated by AI Instead of Humans?

• No

Votes: 58 29.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 142 71.0%

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The couple of times I tried those things with human figures I got some serious body horror, but I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.

I dunno. Since the AI has to be trained on existing art, I suspect artists will try to find new styles and that will probably prolong the artists' tenure somewhat. That said we may see a movement toward abstract or non-figurative art. I will admit I personally do not like abstract art and am much less excited about anything past the early 20th century. But, of course, you can make a more realistic picture in 2 seconds with your phone camera than Vermeer ever could...

The couple of times I tried those things with human figures I got some serious body horror, but I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.

I dunno. Since the AI has to be trained on existing art, I suspect artists will try to find new styles and that will probably prolong the artists' tenure somewhat. That said we may see a movement toward abstract or non-figurative art. I will admit I personally do not like abstract art and am much less excited about anything past the early 20th century. But, of course, you can make a more realistic picture in 2 seconds with your phone camera than Vermeer ever could...
You should try it again. Artificial Intelligence has crossed a tipping point and is now moving at light speed. Getting better by the week.

You should try it again. Artificial Intelligence has crossed a tipping point and is now moving at light speed. Getting better by the week.
Yeah, at this rate AI image generators will be able to outperform any human artist probably within the year, both in quality and speed. I'm already seeing people use them to get custom character portraits of their D&D characters much faster and cheaper than they ever could have by commissioning a human artist.

The question is if consumers will be okay with this. There's already been a case of Capitol Records attempting to partner with a company called Factory New to use an AI rapper called FN Meka with the explicit purpose of using the AI to replace looking for new musicians. The backlash was so swift and severe that Capitol Records dropped the deal and one of the spokespeople for Factory New has left the company and distanced himself from the project. That doesn't mean that will always be the case, though.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For more thoughts on AI art in the context of RPGs, I'd recommend reading some of Owen K. C. Stephens' thoughts on the subject over on his blog. He brings up several points that are interesting to consider.

Argyle King

Legend
Somewhat...

I watched the new Beavis & Butthead movie. Despite the artwork being "better" (in that it was made using modern methods,) it took something away from the feel of the show.

This isn't limited to AI, but I find that a lot of contemporary art looks too clean. It's lacking something.

I don't know how to explain it, but I find less-perfect artwork more enjoyable.

That doesn't mean that I want bad artwork. But there's something about computerized art (and movie CGI) which doesn't look quite right. I don't know how to explain why or what seems off about it, but it's something.

Yaarel

He Mage
Somewhat...

I watched the new Beavis & Butthead movie. Despite the artwork being "better" (in that it was made using modern methods,) it took something away from the feel of the show.

This isn't limited to AI, but I find that a lot of contemporary art looks too clean. It's lacking something.

I don't know how to explain it, but I find less-perfect artwork more enjoyable.

That doesn't mean that I want bad artwork. But there's something about computerized art (and movie CGI) which doesn't look quite right. I don't know how to explain why or what seems off about it, but it's something.
In archeology, there is a shift from Roman Period ceramics to Byzantine Period ceramics.

The Roman stuff is extremely polished and technologically sophisticated, while the later Byzantine stuff is rougher and more handmade. At first the archeologists wondered if there was some kind of collapse in technology. But it turned out, the shift is strictly esthetic. The later cultures just preferred things to be more human and less polished.

Remove ads