• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would this fix Champion?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
One of the things I admired about 4e is that fighters had good powers with great names that attracted players to the class. BM has this somewhat. If you played 4e though you remember stuff like Tide of Iron, Come and get it, Thicket of Blades, etc.
The 4e fighter was too good for this world.

Nothing gold can stay, Ponyboy.

Sacrosanct

Legend
But you understand that this is just like, you opinion, man. While I don't doubt your anecdotal experience, I would suggest that you also have ample evidence from this thread that there are many people that appreciate this design choice. And it's not just for new players. FWIW, Champion is often played at my tables, whereas Battlemaster has never been played. In other words, my anecdote can beat up your anecdote (because it has a better crit range!).

I run different groups. I run a grognard group (former 1e players). I run a family group. And I run groups for kids/newbies. The Champion gets a lot of play in all of the different groups.

Again, if you don't like the Champion, that's fine! That's a preference. And if you have a houserule at your table, that's fine too! If it works out well, why not report back to us?

I mentioned this the other day (there have been a crop of these threads recently, so I don't know which one it was in), and I guess it bears repeating.

We seem to have a lot of people who think that their personal playstyle is how everyone else plays. A lot of these discussions could be avoided if people just realized other people played differently and that's not a bad thing. He (or she) has their anecdotal experiences where no one pays the champion and they can't see the value. You and I have our anecdotal experience that is contrary to that. None of us carries more weight or legitimacy than any other, so we need to look at objective information when we can.

And that information is in the form of surveys and playtest feedback. Clearly a lot of people like and want the champion, and they aren't newbs, or bad roleplayers, or any other pejorative that's been ascribed to them. This has been reinforced over and over in the surveys.

smbakeresq

Explorer
The fact that there is multiple Threads about it means there are many people who think it needs a change and want a change. They are here looking for options. If you think it's fine then you don't need to post all, and you certainly don't need to attack other posters for wanting something different.

That's what the OP wanted, and other too. If you are not for changes then say so and move on. There is no reason to attack others for their opinions

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

smbakeresq

Explorer
I mentioned this the other day (there have been a crop of these threads recently, so I don't know which one it was in), and I guess it bears repeating.

We seem to have a lot of people who think that their personal playstyle is how everyone else plays. A lot of these discussions could be avoided if people just realized other people played differently and that's not a bad thing. He (or she) has their anecdotal experiences where no one pays the champion and they can't see the value. You and I have our anecdotal experience that is contrary to that. None of us carries more weight or legitimacy than any other, so we need to look at objective information when we can.

And that information is in the form of surveys and playtest feedback. Clearly a lot of people like and want the champion, and they aren't newbs, or bad roleplayers, or any other pejorative that's been ascribed to them. This has been reinforced over and over in the surveys.

Where is the survey and playtest data which you reviewed. There is information in there I would like to see which as far as know hasn't been released.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I understand you were not. But I was reported and assed points for saying essentially the same thing in another thread and the mod would not read the whole thread for context. I don't report as I think it's a gutless move, but I did tell the mod anything remotely personal I would respond so I can always say "my feels is hurt please do something!"

But back to my point, OP and many others are looking for options, if you have some post it. Otherwise I don't think the designers need defenders. Defender's went out with 4e.

Too many people ask for options and then get response of "why are you looking for options? What's wrong with you?" Many responses like that are right here in this thread

Remove ads