D&D 5E Would this fix Champion?

GameOgre

Adventurer
I,as a duly authorized representative of the Champions Guild have to ask you posters who are trying to defend the champ to please stop. After much consideration we have decided all those posters must know what they are talking about and we must indeed be underpowered.

We are ready to recieve said buffage in order to bring us up to comparable power levels. We accept the verdict and agree to take one for the team. We will just have to find a way to deal with this increased power that i am sure will STILL leave us considerably under powered and in need of even more future combat ability increases.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I did not expect this thread to blow up. I immediately regret my decision.

Aww man relax if you cant take a little good natured heat from your rpg buddies who can you ever talk to right?

It's ok man we all just chewing the fat and kicking it back having a good time talking D&D.

Gimmie Buffages!

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I don't mean to be crude, but in this context it reads as "We need to make sure to crap all over the threads of people who have these opinions. We can't let them have their own opinions. Ours are better!"
You're not crude, you are just misreading me.

You assume I am saying my opinion is better. I'm not - I'm saying our opinions, when stated as opinions mind you, are equal.

You also seem to be under the false impression that me sharing my opinion is somehow taking your own opinion away. That's not the case as, unlike you, I've never phrased my opinion as an object truth to which there is no possible alternative.

And lastly, the supposed "crap" in this thread is entirely the result of you choosing a loaded question like "Would this fix the champion?" rather than a title that just does what you want without also inviting people to disagree with the question, something along the lines of "Seeking input on a champion house-rule" would no doubt have worked.

You've effectively thrown a punch, started a fight, and then insisted you are being attacked in how you started this thread and then accused anyone stating disagreement with your presupposed facts of trying to silence your opinion.

Edit to add and revise: I realize now that you aren't even the person that started the thread, so I apologize for confusing the two of you. Your fervent insistence of others' wrong-doing in defense of the loaded question led me to the false assumption that it was your loaded question - I really should have taken the time to check and be sure.

Last edited:

DaedalusX51

Explorer
For the Champion, I took some attack names and stuff from 4e for each weapon type and reworked them as "feats" for the champion. Some of them require you to give up your attack routine for that special attack, like thicket of blades. Champion is very much more flavorful if using marking and it's available only to them

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Do you have a copy of it online? I'd like to check it out.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I did not expect this thread to blow up. I immediately regret my decision.

Well you kind of wandered into a pre-existing mine field. But it is true that if you want to get constructive feedback on a house rule, you'll be more successful if you take care not to imply that the house rule is necessary or makes the game better for everyone.

DaedalusX51

Explorer
@DaedalusX51

If you are looking for specific feedback regarding the Champion, I think it would be best to do the following in a clear and concise manner, understanding that there are many people that are perfectly happy with the Champion as-is.

1. Explain your experience with the Champion (either personal or at the table). This will give people an idea as to why you are proposing the changes. Is this from game-play experience (someone rage-quit after playing the Champion because of X), or because you haven't seen it in play, and you think it's not being played because of Y.

2. Explain why you think changing the Champion is the best route, and why this chassis (class) is a better chassis to change than others. For example, "I love the idea of a simplified fighter, but I think it needs ...."

3. Explain what you want to accomplish with the change. "I think that the Champion needs more DPR, so ..." or "I think the Champion needs more defensive capabilities, so ..."

4. Propose your change and request feedback.

This is my simplified list of how to get constructive feedback. :)

Just a heads up, I didn't start this thread. I have just had similar feelings about the Champion's power level and wished that we could do this constructively for once. Usually these threads turn into a shouting match or are completely derailed.

Edit: BTW I agree completely with what you said, but I know that not everyone is able to easily convey their thoughts concisely. I'm just willing to give people who drop a loaded question the benefit of the doubt. I honestly do not think that Garresh had any ill will when he started this thread. I think he was just looking for a solution.

Last edited:

Eubani

Legend
I think the biggest issue is that the Fighter should of been split into 2 classes as the same chassis for a simple fighter and advanced one hold each other back. This would benefit the Champion in that you could do more focused subclasses that don't have to give up too much to cover everything, but instead focus in what the player aiming for a simple class wanted to play (eg defender, melee or archer.).

Remove ads