Dragonlance Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

• Yes

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 82 60.7%
  • Yes, providing the character originated on Krynn

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • No, but I'd refluff the stats and allow those as another race

Votes: 6 4.4%

I'm just wondering. For me allowing something so incredibly tied to a particular setting to be played outside of it just jarring and not appealing at all (as DM or a player at the table of a DM doing so). I'm getting the impression that some others feel differently, so I want to see where most are at.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
In my homebrew setting, Kender are simply a gypsy-esque subrace of halflings. No homeland, shunned in most cities if not for the lively entertainments they put on, and accused of thievery because of their beliefs - physical things belong to whoever needs them most - "owning" a thing is a foreign concept to them.

neobolts

Explorer
I would probably not introduce it on my own. If a player really wanted to play one, I'd find a way to introduce kender into the setting.

Now I'm picturing 4e era FR with the Spellplague pulling in a society of kender rather than genasi. :]

Tony Vargas

Legend
I was expecting a choice for "No, and I wouldn't run Dragonlance without banning Kender, either." Some folks love 'em, others hate 'em.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am not so sure I'd allow them *inside* Dragonlance, much less outside it.

Don't get me wrong, Tasslehoff worked well in a novel. But at the table, that would be annoying enough that someone would have slapped the player.

The, "I don't believe in personal property," thing can be okay, as a philosophy. But it seems that everyone else on the planet understands that different cultures have different mores, and one occasionally has to adjust behavior to get by. Kender, apparently, are too bloody stupid to understand this even when they are exposed to it, and that just doesn't make any sense.

I'm DMing a Planescape campaign, and for a moment I pondered the possibility of including a group of kender NPCs from Krynn springing forth from inside a particularly large Bag of Holding.

Then I slapped my own face, took a cold shower, and didn't talk to myself again for two weeks.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I was expecting a choice for "No, and I wouldn't run Dragonlance without banning Kender, either." Some folks love 'em, others hate 'em.
Absolutely! As I've mentioned before, the first time I read about Kender (in Dragon, before Dragonlance came out) I swore a vow that any character of mine who ever came across any Kender would kill it/them on sight. Fortunately, everyone else I've ever played with wanted nothing to do with them either. But that vow still holds.

Paraxis

Explorer
I wouldn't allow Kender as a PC race in a Dragonlance game. They are a license to behave horribly to the rest of the players and excuse the trollish behavior as "roleplaying".

Remove ads