Dragonlance Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

• Yes

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 82 60.7%
  • Yes, providing the character originated on Krynn

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • No, but I'd refluff the stats and allow those as another race

Votes: 6 4.4%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd allow Kender. I wouldn't allow disruptive play. The player would have to figure out how to do one without the other.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I see kender the same way I see Chaotic Neutral characters - they require the right sort of player. In the hands of the wrong person, yeah they can be disruptive. But, when played by someone who can add nuance and depth, they suddenly become awesome. My spouse played a kender in a 2nd Edition Ravenloft campaign and it was one of the highlights of the campaign.

asorel

First Post
In 99% of cases, my answer would be 'No.' On rare occasions, if I know the player well and consider them trustworthy, I would have make sure it's cleared with the other players. All of them, not just a majority. Then I would make it clear in no uncertain terms that this character is likely going to die early into the campaign, probably at the hands of the other PCs.

But seriously, Kender are just a terrible idea as a race. A group of adult adventurers wouldn't want to be responsible for the life of an ADHD child with kleptomania traveling with them, and likely wouldn't trust such to keep their own lives secure in a battle. And it's not just the fact that the race is used as "an excuse" for annoying behavior. It's that this annoying behavior is completely justified IC, and to not partake in it would be poor roleplaying. Factor in their fearlessness, i.e. suicidal tendencies, and you've got a TPK in a four foot container.

All right, I'll stop ranting now.

mlund

First Post
I'm generally not a fan of player characters of monster races. A kobold or goblinoid is about as far as I'd go. Gray Oozes, Rust Monsters, and Kender are for me to torment the players with, not for PC use.

Marty Lund

I'm not a fan of the race for PCs in any setting including Dragonlance because, like 1e/2e Paladins, they're so infamously misplayed. I've seen exactly one played correctly, and a the rest used it as an excuse to steal everything magical from the rest of the party, "because it's what my character would do," which tends to be the general excuse for disruptive play.

mlund

First Post
Seriously, though, if I had to wrangle kender for some God-forsaken reason, I'd do it in +13A. Kender would get taunt as a once-per-battle Racial Ability. "Handling" would be a racial feat. It would be a Faustian Bargain ability. You gimmick up an explanation of where and when you got whatever pouch-fitting item on the fly. In exchange the DM banks a complication to be named later, just like invoking a "5" on the Icon Dice. Yes, you happen to have the vault key Captain Birdwhistle was carrying. Just don't come crying to me because your scatterbrained klepto with selective memory disorder can't, for the life of him, remember ever coming to this town - let alone tripping the Lord Mayor over his chamber-pot andthatbountyposterdoesn'tevenlooklikemethisisjustdiscriminationagainst-URK!

Marty Lund

asorel

First Post
Seriously, though, if I had to wrangle kender for some God-forsaken reason, I'd do it in +13A. Kender would get taunt as a once-per-battle Racial Ability. "Handling" would be a racial feat. It would be a Faustian Bargain ability. You gimmick up an explanation of where and when you got whatever pouch-fitting item on the fly. In exchange the DM banks a complication to be named later, just like invoking a "5" on the Icon Dice. Yes, you happen to have the vault key Captain Birdwhistle was carrying. Just don't come crying to me because your scatterbrained klepto with selective memory disorder can't, for the life of him, remember ever coming to this town - let alone tripping the Lord Mayor over his chamber-pot andthatbountyposterdoesn'tevenlooklikemethisisjustdiscriminationagainst-URK!

Marty Lund

That's a nice way of doing it, but I personally can't see any major city not banning the presence of Kender inside the walls. A LG society would keep them out, and I can see LN or LE cities offering bounties for them.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I generally allow a player to choose just about any race for her character. If the race is not native to the campaign world that we're playing in, the player must come up with a plausible explanation for the character's race. Perhaps the PC was cursed or magically transformed. Or, the PC may have come from a different world.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm just wondering. For me allowing something so incredibly tied to a particular setting to be played outside of it just jarring and not appealing at all (as DM or a player at the table of a DM doing so). I'm getting the impression that some others feel differently, so I want to see where most are at.

I've allowed them in the past. In my homebrew, they are NOT halflings - and halflings are present in addition (and far more commonly). But the Kender of my homebrew world are imports from Krynn.

Remove ads