D&D 5E Would you buy a D&D Next Beta Playtest Rulebook?

Would you buy a D&D Next Beta Playtest Rulebook?

• Yes

Votes: 48 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Only if the price was right

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Poll closed .

Li Shenron

Legend
No, I'd rather wait for the complete job.

It even irritates me to have errata in my printed books, how could I ever withstand the sight of a book which is wrong since the start? ;)

enrious

I bought the 2 4e preview books back in the day, but I'm unlikely to do so for any 5e products unless they were under $5.

drothgery

First Post
I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee (i.e. roughly the cost of materials and shipping) for a print copy (if the PDF is free), but I don't know if WotC would or could do it.

Agamon

Adventurer
No, of course not. If they want feedback, why charge for it? I'll play in the beta, but I won't buy anything until a final release.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I bought the Pathfinder Beta hardcopy because I'd read it for free online, and was very excited about it. I also wanted to support Paizo, and like all private companies, you do that with your wallet.

For 5E, I don't know enough to buy it sight-unseen, so no I wouldn't buy it were it to be offered right now. Likewise, I'm not yet sure that I want to support this endeavor from WotC.

My attitude may change towards 5E in the future, but as it stands I'm cautiously optimistic right now...which isn't enough to start giving them my money.

If the beta rules could be downloaded for free, I would love the ability to purchase a beta version in print, after I've read the rules on my computer. Hell, I printed out the 4e PHB off a pirated copy because my books weren't going to arrive until after the first session I'd scheduled, and it definitely was easier with the print copy, instead of having to refer to a computer.

But I'm figuring this would be something like $10 for a black & white perfect bound soft-cover book.

It worries me that some people seem to be saying they would be upset at WotC for offering a low-cost book in print in addition to a free version in PDF form.

Nagol

Unimportant
I voted no but upon further reflection I would buy a beta product if the following conditions are met:

1. I am interested in the product's promise, but wary about how it may be implemented.
  2. It is late beta and I think the design is pretty much complete.
  3. The beta product is comprehensive enough I can get a sense of how the product works to determine if I will find the end product enjoyable.
  4. The product is priced low enough that puchasing thje beta is a cost-effective test to determine whether to buy the final product.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
If the beta rules could be downloaded for free, I would love the ability to purchase a beta version in print, after I've read the rules on my computer. Hell, I printed out the 4e PHB off a pirated copy because my books weren't going to arrive until after the first session I'd scheduled, and it definitely was easier with the print copy, instead of having to refer to a computer.

But I'm figuring this would be something like $10 for a black & white perfect bound soft-cover book.

It worries me that some people seem to be saying they would be upset at WotC for offering a low-cost book in print in addition to a free version in PDF form.
It worries me too. I didn't think there would be this much... discord (?)... about the idea. :confused:

I mean, as long as you can download the free beta test before you'd decide to buy the print version, I don't see the problem. And you wouldn't have to buy the print version. It would be for those that want a physical copy.

Oh well, it just goes to prove that gamers vary in their opinions and desires. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads