• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you change a monster's hit points mid-fight?

And to turn things around... the same exact questions could be asked of the "no fudging" side.

If you are so beholden to the dice, why do you bother roleplaying and making player/DM decisions at all? If what the dice say is that important, why add in all that story stuff that could run counter to it? If you are going to use dice so stringently for combat, why aren't you using dice stringently for everything?

Heck... the way the game was set up... 4E was in many ways perfect for you people. ;)

(See how silly the argument sounds when looked at from the other side?)

Remember that this thread isn't about dice fudging at all. It's about stat fudging. Your question should be "If you are so beholden to your stat blocks, why bother having a DM at all? Why not just let the actual monster make its own decisions instead of the DM 'roleplaying' them?" As a DM, I think that sounds great! If only I had a real troll...

From my perspective, the game is much more interesting if both the players and the DM discover the results of play together. Unexpected decisions made by the players combined with the randomness of a die roll make the experience less predictable and thus more interesting.

This is, in my opinion, one of the things that D&D is ideally suited for. D&D has traditionally included a variety of world-simulation resources (random encounters, weather, political events, crafting and item creation, etc). Other role-playing games I'm familiar with do not have these resources to such a degree. (I'm not saying none exist, but I'm not personally familiar with them).

I play D&D specifically to get that exact experience, because D&D has been designed to better facilitate it than other RPGs.

When I'm looking for a different experience, I play a different RPG better suited to it. In the case of the sort of experiences being discussed on this thread, I feel that almost any RPG other than D&D better supports the story-based GMing mode.

I just changed HP in my last session. I realized the PCs were going to take it out before it even had a chance to do anything. It was a Story Plot monster though (in that the direction of the story was depending on the outcome of the battle). It was a kracken attacking a ship. The scene needed flavor and the flavor it needed was danger. If they killed the sucker before a tentacle could do anything then, meh. But I bumped up HP and everything was great, more than great, it was memorable and awesome and something that will be talked about.

Unrelated to the topic, but could you give me some thoughts on the difficulty of the kraken encounter and how it played out? I'm planning on running one against 5 level 20 PCs and I want to make sure it is neither too easy nor a TPK.

If you change monster HP on the fly you can also abolish HP altogether and just let them die when you think the players had enough "fun" playing whack-a-mole with the punching bags.

I feel this really does express the essence of the position.

On one end of the spectrum you have stats as a firm indication of the state of elements within the world.*

On the other end of the spectrum the world exists in something like a state of quantum uncertainty, where the stats have no set numbers until the DM decides the outcome desired at the moment.

In the middle you have DMs doing things like acting according to the "firm state" position unless they feel that an exception is needed to create the "desired outcome". Or they may assume a "desired outcome" position, but use "firm state" numbers as a simple guideline most of the time to avoid having to constantly make decisions.

Theoretically though, it appears to me that if you do not abide totally by the "firm state" position, then you are really abiding by the "desired outcome" position. The positions are actually mutually exclusive.

*The case of changing numbers because you made a mechanical mistake at some point can be harmonious with the "firm state" position, because you are attempting to return to the firm state that was accidentally altered.

Example: You were rolling d8s for damage when you should have been rolling d6s. You discover this error, and refund a few hit points to the target based on your best estimation of how many hit points they should not have lost. You could also roll a random number for correction if you feel your estimation skills aren't the best.

We certainly could just ignore HP altogether. Many of us in the "story usually trumps mechanics" camp could probably improvise D&D combat to the point where that was possible. We could also play a game like Fiasco where that kind of thing is a part of gameplay (deciding via shared agreement when things "fall down".)

Why do we NOT do that all the time then?

Because it isn't necessary to. We have HP in the game specifically so that we don't HAVE to make group decisions and agreements on when things should "fall down" all the time. We certainly COULD if we wanted to... but that's an extra layer in the roleplaying that is not always necessary to make the story we are telling fun. And fortunately, D&D has created rules to use that make that group agreement into a GAME for us to play while we come to a consensus on when things "fall down".

That's the glory of RPGs. We don't NEED any rules to create our stories... but they are usually fun to use in conjunction with it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that you use hp as a guide or suggestion to facilitate the DMs decision making about ending the encounter. So that would be my "desired outcome" position with "firm state" numbers as play aid guides. Is that an accurate assessment?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
So when you change the HP of monsters mid fight is this a group decision, too?

Yup. I change the number of HP... they enjoy the fight. If at any point my players were to tell me they don't like the fighting in our games, I'd make adjustments in the future.

That's the thing. If my players are having fun, it doesn't MATTER what happens behind the screen. No one's giving out trophies for playing tight, playing loose, playing "Rules As Written", playing "Rules As Intended", playing however. If the players are enjoying the campaign, and I'm enjoying the campaign... then we all win. And how we get there doesn't matter a lick.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that you use hp as a guide or suggestion to facilitate the DMs decision making about ending the encounter. So that would be my "desired outcome" position with "firm state" numbers as play aid guides. Is that an accurate assessment?

Sure. Much more technical than I ever give the thought process to, but it sounds about right. Usually I follow the numbers and the dice because it's easy and produces a lot of sound outcomes. But to me, dice and stats are two of the myriad of rules that all fall under the umbrella of "DM adjudication". As DM, I make adjudications all the time... all for what I think is the betterment of the game experience for my players. And if I'm going to do that with any of the written rules in the game, why would I not do it with stats and dice too? No one's being awarded a blue ribbon for "playing tight"... so why hamstring ourselves if it ends up only lessening the experience?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
But to me, dice and stats are two of the myriad of rules that all fall under the umbrella of "DM adjudication". As DM, I make adjudications all the time... all for what I think is the betterment of the game experience for my players. And if I'm going to do that with any of the written rules in the game, why would I not do it with stats and dice too? No one's being awarded a blue ribbon for "playing tight"... so why hamstring ourselves if it ends up only lessening the experience?

"DM adjudication" - I call it editorial control. Just like I edit the scenario before I run it, I edit other elements under my control in my side of the screen.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
"Listen guys, I was trying to make this game I spent hours and hours working on more fun for you by fudging a roll or hit point total now and again. I'm sorry for ruining everything."

It is like if you saw in a movie the directors and cameras and crew suddenly come in and say they wanted to adjust the film. The player(s) are like an audience. What happens behind the scenes is perfectly alright, but it's not for the players to see during the adventure.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Sometimes I have done this if I create an encounter that kills the party because I misjudged their power and capabilities. I don't like TPKs. An occasional PC death I expect and adds to the drama of the story, TPKs ruin an entire campaign I spent a lot of time creating and running. I don't enjoy them. I try to carefully balance encounters to create a sense of danger. If I make a mistake, I don't mind doing it over.

It can alter their expectations for the monsters, too, which is another reason it's a no-no. If you're dealing with a huge mistake, it would better to restart the encounter and modify it with different monsters. Once you are rolling dice, and playing the game, the players expect the monsters to roll to hit like they do. It's a big part of the game. If they feel you're fudging something, they can feel completely bored and cheated.

Last edited:

I wouldn't adjust stats including hp on the basis of how an encounter goes, but I would change the behavior of a monster if an encounter was going too well or too poorly for the party. When designing encounters, I always try to have a couple of options in mind for either instance. Have a bell that they can ring to bring in reinforcements, have an escape path that either side can use if they are overwhelmed, have terrain features that the party can exploit if they realized they are outmatched. Neither side should be expected to fight to the death, especially with intelligent foes.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
That is one thing it can be. There are others.

For you, it is this. That's fine.

I happen to think that it has rather changed from the original state. While it still includes tactical wargame aspects, it is no longer *limited* to those. You can do a lot of things with the game, even as written, that *aren't* contests and wargames.

I'd say D&D is not basically a tabletop wargame where you command a unit of one. It is, and always was, a chance to "adventure" in the role or persona of a fantasy character, particularly inside a cave or other dungeon where a powerful monster lurked. It was based on Conan and monster movies. The rules for miniature gaming provided the logical framework for bringing this concept to life.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads