• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you change a monster's hit points mid-fight?

S

Sunseeker

Giving maximum HP is never your only option for challenging powergamers. Do you disagree?

As elf witch clarified, she didn't mean it as the only option. I do agree that max HP is a good counter for people who are maximizing damage in order to produce the intended results of the edition.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=9037]Elf Witch[/MENTION], [MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION] - is the reason for using max hp, rather than just stepping up HD etc (and hence XP values, which feed into other parts of the game) because it's quicker/easier?

Elf Witch

First Post
[MENTION=9037]Elf Witch[/MENTION], [MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION] - is the reason for using max hp, rather than just stepping up HD etc (and hence XP values, which feed into other parts of the game) because it's quicker/easier?

Yes sometimes it is easier and quicker if I already started the combat and I realize that I need to amp it up.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
I am surprised by the opposition to fudging that I see in this thread. I always assume that any DM I play with fudges dice rolls and modify encounters on the fly to make the game more fun/interesting. I sure do so and I am pretty sure my players know this, but if they don't, that doesn't really bother me.

Disclaimer: When I say I fudge dice and change hp on the fly, it doesn't mean I do it for every single die roll or monster, just when it makes sense to me.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I am surprised by the opposition to fudging that I see in this thread. I always assume that any DM I play with fudges dice rolls and modify encounters on the fly to make the game more fun/interesting. I sure do so and I am pretty sure my players know this, but if they don't, that doesn't really bother me.

Disclaimer: When I say I fudge dice and change hp on the fly, it doesn't mean I do it for every single die roll or monster, just when it makes sense to me.

I don't understand the vehement anger against it either.

S

Sunseeker

I don't use XP, so adding HD wouldn't change anything besides HP totals in my games. But yes, using full HP is the simpler option to the alternatives.

S

Sunseeker

Adding HP won't change the visuals either? Monsters won't be bigger or look different, they're strictly just tougher?

If we've seen these monsters before, I usually note that "These ones look particularly beefy." If we haven't ever seen these monsters before then there's no need to mention how they look because this is their first appearance. In-character that's "normal" until you see something to tell you otherwise.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Adding HP won't change the visuals either? Monsters won't be bigger or look different, they're strictly just tougher?

Since hit points aren't necessarily meat, it's possible they look no different at all. Hit points can be representative of mental durability, the will to live, and luck. That said, I think it's a good idea if the DM telegraphs the increased hit points in some way during the scene in a way that invites further exploration and decisions from the players e.g. "This one hill giant bruiser is shrugging off hits that greatly wounded his tribesmen" or "The drow with the longknife seems expert in turning lethal blows into glancing ones."

pemerton

Legend
I am surprised by the opposition to fudging that I see in this thread.
I don't understand the vehement anger against it either.
I don't have "vehement anger" against it, but it's not a technique I care for.

I think a thread like this is a useful reminder that within the RPGing community there is quite a variety of approaches and preferences, and so making blanket statements about what is good or bad technique is often unhelpful. I think it's more helpful to look at the relationship between various techniques and the sorts of player expectations and goals of play that they help or hinder.

Remove ads