D&D General Would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun?

Would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun?

• Yes (with or without additional conditions)

Votes: 88 65.7%
  • No (with or without additional conditions)

Votes: 46 34.3%

I would rather to allow a little touch of hopepunk. Not everyone wants the meal to be cooked in the same way, but someones would rather different styles.

The marketing strategy by WotC is the modules/adventures should be easy to be placed in the different settings. Then an adventure in Athas shouldn't be sold as something exclusive and only for Athas.

Maybe WotC should hurry and to publish a sourcebook about the "demiplane of the desolation" as a mini-setting before it was by a 3PP in DMGuild. Technically a 3PP could publish an updated version of Sandstorm, and adding crunch elements, nothing of lore about the Athasian Tablelands, because it would respect the lock for Dark Sun.

I guess we will have to await about the event linked with Vecna because this could reboot the D&D multiverse... again.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'll be honest

I only wanted Dark Sun because it required Psionics and WOTC would only make the Psion in 5e if a setting required Psions.

Outsideof that, Dark Sun felt like an edgy nonsense setting where a powerhungry DM used slavery and racism to excuse his class and race bans and railroading. Like it sounds like something you heard on RPG Horror Stories or a forum post from a player complaining about a DM.

If there was another setting that promoted Psionics I'd push that far over Dark Sun.

Loren the GM

Adventurer
Publisher
Eberron was created in 2004 if memory serves me right, so it's almost 20 years old. Since then we've had nothing. I know this might sound dismissive (and it's not intended that way) but the truth seems to be that the current generation of creators at WotC can't just make a new world/campaign. Whatever the reason, they haven't done it. I suspect that's because that level of design requires resources that they're not willing (or able?) to dedicate.
There have been several new settings released with 5e. Radiant Citadel, Theros, Ravnica, Strixhaven, and of course Wildemount/Crit Role.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
There have been several new settings released with 5e. Radiant Citadel, Theros, Ravnica, Strixhaven, and of course Wildemount/Crit Role.
The fact that I am largely unaware of them says it all, I suppose.
Edited to add: I was unaware that most of them were distinct settings. I assumed they were just part of the Realms with the exception of the Critical Role products.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The fact that I am largely unaware of them says it all, I suppose.
Edited to add: I was unaware that most of them were distinct settings. I assumed they were just part of the Realms with the exception of the Critical Role products.
Theros, Strixhaven and Ravnica are Magic settings. Radiant Citadel is a new meta-setting

But it is not the same. Wildermount is almost a licence by a 3PP. Radiant Citadel is a mini-setting. Theros, Ravnica and Strixhaven are adaptation of previous setting, wellcome but it is not the same work and merit starting from zero.

I miss the psionic powers, the ki martial adepts and the vestige pact binders, but psionic classes need a lot of work. It is not only the list of powers. The new classes need their own identity, in the same way the wizards, sorcerer and warlocks enjoy theirs. They have to choose if they are going to "borrow" ideas from 3PPs, and if there is a future no-fantasy setting, then how the psionic-powers could be adapted easily.

Psionic powers don't need verbal, somatic or material components. This means if a psionic mystic was infiltrated into a dinner of high society, she could do a lot of actions (reading minds, using teletransportation to add somniferous to a cup..) and nobody would notice. You could create an astral construct and this be sent to explore a dungeon to check any possible trap.

Or psionic powers could be rewritten to allow an easier adaptation to videogame.

A player could create a homebred feat about two characters sharing a telepatic link, then the player could control two PCs.

Let's imagine one of the game designers creates the "psionic technique". It works as a martial maneuver, almost an at-will power but to reload you need a concentration check, or await a round/turn. A new class, the "cultivator" could be based in "psionic techniques" (and xianhia fiction). And they have to choose how to explain the possible link between ki and psionic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Theros, Strixhaven and Ravnica are Magic settings. Radiant Citadel is a new meta-setting
The Magic settings were not designed with D&D classes races and mechanics in mind. So parts of them are clunky as hell.

If WOTC actually created a setting that integrated D&D classes, races, and monsters in mind as well as Psionics, I predict ~1/3 of the hype and sire of Dark Sun disappears. I feel Dark Sun is held up by the overall lack of creativity in TTRPGs.

Imaro

Legend
The Magic settings were not designed with D&D classes races and mechanics in mind. So parts of them are clunky as hell.

If WOTC actually created a setting that integrated D&D classes, races, and monsters in mind as well as Psionics, I predict ~1/3 of the hype and sire of Dark Sun disappears. I feel Dark Sun is held up by the overall lack of creativity in TTRPGs.

Isn't this Eberron?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Isn't this Eberron?
Psionics is still shifted off to the side. It doesn't feel like just another leg on the table to me. Eberron more or less does the "Sarlona is the Psionic continent so the table is as Psionic as many times Sarlona things appear.

Eberron being decades old now also proves my point.

Remove ads