D&D 5E Would you prefer warlord or psion as a new class?

Which would you prefer as a new base class?

• Warlord

Votes: 40 29.2%
  • Psion

Votes: 76 55.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 15.3%

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, Psion, but I dread the explosion of hurt feelings and e-rage as nothing they release can possibly make everyone happy and emotions seem to run mighty high when it comes to the Psion.

Well, Psion, but I dread the explosion of hurt feelings and e-rage as nothing they release can possibly make everyone happy and emotions seem to run mighty high when it comes to the Psion.
You would get that whichever you did (and doubled if you did both).

I suspect that's why the previous attempt was called "Mystic" - by giving it a different name they hoped to avert some of the inevitable "it's different to 2e" wailing. It failed.

I'm surprised that "neither" isn't doing better - my gut feeling was that the majority of players didn't really care about either class.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I was more interested in a psion before I saw what they did with the artificer. WotC seems unwilling to actually move outside the fairly limited framework they've established for classes, abilities, and mechanics, and that means the psion will just be another wizard anyway.

So at this point I've pretty much lost interest in whatever they come up with anyway.

ccs

41st lv DM
{I'd} prefer neither.

But even though I don't want it & won't use it, I can see some value in the Psion. Like the Artificer in Eberon it (and psionics in general) it has a niche in the the Dark Sun setting. And it can easily be added as part of a DS product.

The Warlord?
There's no purpose to this except pandering to the handful of 4e fans out there. It won't work well outside the edition it was designed for, it doesn't add anything to the game except more arguments about 4e, and there's no product to place it in - unless you all want "Xanather's II: a collection of misc. S*(tuff) 99% of you will never use".
Oh and it has a laughably bad name.

So if you want a 5e Warlord? Go sift through the DMsGuild & leave WoTC to get on with making content for the majority of the customers.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Here is the thing with Psionics that makes it essential for them to release rules early in an edition:

Many of us run home brew worlds. These worlds have exited for various lengths of time - some going back to the 1970s or 1980s. As we switch through the editions, we update the setting to accomodate the rules... and constantly struggle with that to do with all of those long running psionic NPCs when a new edition arises an there is no support.

When we finally get support for it, we struggle to retrofit whatever e cobbled together into the 'official' rules for the edition.

Yes, we can ignore the official rules. Yes, we can just hide those NPCs until the rules come out... There are many hacks we can use to get around the problem ... but it ends up being a long ways around and very obvious to the players. It ends up diminishing the stories we tell. That is something that could be avoided.

Quoted for 100% cosmic truth...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The psion technically fills a missing niche in the game that has existed in the past. While the warlord was a great class (my favorite 4E character was a warlord), it doesn't fill a niche that can't be filled by another class. Everything the warlord is about can be done thru various existing classes and subclasses, so the need just isn't there (even if the fanbase is). I personally feel there are too many overlapping classes as is, that exist primarily due to legacy (barbarian, sorcerer, possibly even paladin and ranger).

Yeah, this.

Remove ads