D&D 4E Would you still play 4e?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Someday, I really want to play Dark Sun 4e. The world and the rules seem like a perfect fit. So that will likely bring me back to 4th edition.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Losing access to the compendium would probably be enough to get me to quit playing 4E. I use it to answer all my rules questions, have all my monsters up and ready (minus the custom built one in my monster builder), and for quick treasure parcels. So losing it would make running the game much harder.

I have low expectations for 5E and nothing I've seen so far has raised them, so that would probably be it for me running DnD.

At that point, I'm much more likely to run games I love like the games listed in my sig.

I'm starting the Zeigtgeist Adventure Path, so yes, I will be playing 4th in the next two years. After that I will play the system that offers me the best adventures available, since I don't have time to build my owns.

Sure, I'll still play it. I don't need DDI to run or play the game; it's a nice help and all, but it's not essential.
I've got the good old CB backed up with my own homebrew mods for CBLoader, and I've got almost all of the books and Dragon/Dungeon articles. :cool:

Ryujin

Legend
Given that my group doesn't have many of the books, but instead depends upon DDI for new releases and updates, of necessity we would likely stop playing 4e. Unknown if we would continue on and play 5e, as we haven't gone through the playtest materials yet. VTT would have absolutely no bearing on the decision, as we don't use it.

Quite frankly, we're more likely to move on to another game completely, as we aren't particularly tied to any one genre of role playing.

Riastlin

First Post
Personally, I'm not convinced that they'll turn off 4ed DDi. If anything, I think it might just end up in a "frozen" state. i.e. "We'll keep the servers up and running but don't expect any changes to the actual layout, etc." From my early looks at the VTT (haven't used it in a long time) it certainly seemed that they were contemplating making it available for multiple editions.

All that being said though, assuming for argument's sake that they do turn off the DDi, I don't know whether I'd run another game or not. Playing as a PC wouldn't be a problem and I would certainly be willing to do that. Whether or not I chose to run a game would depend largely upon a) how much I like D&DNext, b) what other games I had players for, and c) how easy D&DNext is to run.

So far, I've seen things I like and things I don't like with D&DNext. Its simply too early to call it since we've actually been shown very little. I like the idea of faster combats, but some of my players I know won't. I have at least a couple of players who pretty much tune out the moment combat ends (which is fine, its just another playstyle after all). So I have a feeling that in many respects, those players might prefer 4ed over Next since they are not into the exploration and roleplay pillars.

I do have to admit though that when my current campaign ends (currently at 18th level, hoping to hit 30) I'll probably be ready for a break regardless. We've been playing close to 3 years now and I anticipate it will likely take another 18 months or so to finish out (maybe a bit more). So yeah, odds are that I'll want to take a break anyway and will almost certainly check out what else there is out there. That said though, it will be hard to pull me away from D&D for too long. :p

Obryn

Hero
I already use the offline character builder with canadian bacon.

I primarily use the old Adventure Tools, too.

Losing the Compendium would be a bummer, though. I've been a subscriber since day 1, and I'd have no qualms about saying "yarrrr!" after that.

-O

Arlough

Explorer
DDi has no effect on me whatsoever. I gave up my subscription after 2 years, and it actually worked out for the best.
We have frozen the rules at pre-Essentials, and as a result have avoided much of the bloat. Additionally, we limit sources to the hardbound books, and have so many house rules that it would be difficult, but not impossible, to go back to playing 4e.

As it stands, though, it seems unlikely that I'll pick up 5e. As combat systems go (and the play test has me suspecting that 5e will, again, be a combat system primarily) 4e is perfectly adequate if I want tactical combat.

But I am much more likely to switch over to FATE based systems at this point as exploration and role play are now what I mostly crave.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Remove ads